valve cover/ pcv valve trouble

PJ_is_jeepin

okay i finally got my first jeep after saving for a while. a 1990 yj with 4 cyl ( carb) i already started restoring it in every aspect. even trackin down chevy 305s for a later swap. here is my biggest headache.

i cannot for the life of me figure out where to direct the pcv valve and breather. the person who owned it before me just had hoses runnin under the chassis. this makes for a stinky cab, bacause the breather is spittin out exhaust. i picked up a service manual cause i knew i would need one eventually, and it doesnt help in this area very much. any insight on this would be great.

what does the breather hose hook up too?
what does the pcv valve hose hook up too?
what hooks up to the air cleaner?

you can tell its my first jeep, i cringe at the gas mileage :) :-x [addsig]

The PCV hose hooks to the aircleaner. The other hose on the valve cover, without the PCV valve, draws vacuum from the intake manifold. Best to find another TBI 4banger of a similar year to use as a guide.

The '90 YJ 2.5L was fuel injected, TBI, which means throttle body injection (injector in the throttle body).

Don't waste your time with a GM 305, the 350 is 10 times better of an engine and fits the same. I put a 350 in my old '88 YJ, it's pretty sweet. Enjoy the Jeep.

You can also check out 4Bangers United Forums for some good help with the 4cyl. Jeep.[addsig]

I don't want to mislead you, BUT, (since I have had a problem with oil being sucked into the airlceaner because of a plugged PCV/line) the PCV valve is on the front of the valve cover nearest the oil filler cap. The line from the valve goes to a T fitting: from the T a short line goes to the carb and the other goes to a unit on the engine compartment firewall/drivers side unit which I have no idea what its purpose is. On the back (nearest the firewall) the valve cover port is the PCV air intake connecting to the aircleaner box via hose. Inside the aircleaner is a small 2 x 2 inch filter. If the whole bloody vacuum system is working properly air is being sucked from the aircleaner box thru the valve cover out the PCV valve port and on into the system. Your jeep sounds like mine: all the stupid vacuum lines have either been plugged with a wood screw and left hanging by previous owners. p.s. my 88 YJ is a 6 banger but I would think the valve cover/PCV set up is the same. CAB :) [addsig]

Back