Valve Cover Leak

trailjeep

After a year my valve cover is leaking again. It is the 2.5L plastic cover. I could not find a metal one for the 4 cylinder online. Does anyone have some tips for sealing the stock valve cover? I used blue RTV last time. Would black RTV work better?

I have always had very good luck with the Mopar Sealant. The black Permatex, I think is pretty much the same.

I had the same problem, fought it a few times. I solved it by cleaning both surfaces well. Put a decent bead of RTV (I used blue) on the valve cover side. Let it sit for 8-10 minutes. Then put it on the head. I tightened everything just enough (nutdriver) to "flatten" the RTV a little. Then, after it set over-night, I tightened the bolts up with a ratchet. Make sure you bounce around and do it evenly. I still didn't go too tight, just enough to press on the "flat bead" of RTV. I think the trick was to let it set up into the "thicker" bead then tighten down into it. It may have not been the correct way, but it solved my problem. Later, Brad

make sure the breather is clear when you pull the cover. the 1/4" ID tends to clog with carbon/sludge. a bad breather will raise internal pressures.

I cleaned the valve cover and put it back on with black RTV gasket maker. The PCV valve was plugged so I replaced it. Letting the Jeep sit overnight. Hopefully there are no more leaks.

Back