Using the Shift Light

Jeepstud31b

My TJ is an 04 X with the shift light. What in the heck is the significance of that thing? I am used to shifting gears by listening to the engine and how fast I am going. But when I do that, that shift light ALWAYS comes on tell me to take it up another gear. If I follow the shift light's advise, will I do better on gas milage or is that thing just a crock of crap? I dont pay attention to it on any trails but on the highway, to follow or not to follow?

well shift lights kinda give you advice...if you plan to drive like an old lady and never going above 50...then go with the shift light. otherwise, stay with the listening to the engine...i guess it would save gas mileage..

Yeah I drive like a Granny most of the time. (Never really in a hurry) Thanks for you advice. Anyone else suggestions?
Also, how does it work. What tells that little light to kick on when its time to shift???

Jeepstud31b said:
Yeah I drive like a Granny most of the time. (Never really in a hurry) Thanks for you advice. Anyone else suggestions?
Also, how does it work. What tells that little light to kick on when its time to shift???

The light is dependent on both RPM's and amount of skinny pedal you're giving it. I've found that if you're really on the gas, the shift light doesn't come on near as much. If you're running a stock rig with stock wheels and tires, you'll probably be at your best mileage by shifting with the light, so long as you're on flat ground with no headwind. However, I've found that if you're running bigger meats, running up and down hills, or driving into the wind, shifting with the light will actually lug the motor and burn more gas. I shift around 2700-3200 in my YJ and that's the optimum range for the best mileage.

The shift light....aka dummy light. I never use it. I had a 4 cyl and it didnt get me anywhere. A little black piece of electrical tape solved the shift light issue

I hate that dumb thing! I know when to shift. Anyone who drives a stick shift should know that. Besides that, it always wants me to shift right when I hit 2 on the tach. WTF?????

Is there afuse that I can take out to make that thing die?

I can't stand those little annoyances. I, too, have used the electrical tape method and one time just busted the bulb with a sewing needle and a pair of pliers.

For city driving the shift light is crap, ignore it. In my Jeep the difference in fuel economy between using the shift light and not using the shift light was really small, but it runs a lot better when its not bogged down at 1200 rpm all the time.

Good Lord! Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined something so subtle as a little light could cause so much angst and dismay!

yeah, what it comes down to is that people just don't like being told what to do :lol:

I rarely think about that thing. It is perfectly hidden behind my steering wheel so I never even see it unless I look for it.

I reallt ried to use it during the gas price increase. Here in long Island everything is flat. I got 30 miles extra to a tank of gas. One thing though. I couldnt stand driving so slow with no exceleration and people agrrevated behind you. Back to the usual commute style driving. Either your on the gas to the floor or your on the break.

Back