transfer case!

AVILES

hey every one, i was wondering if anyone knew of a place were i can find a transfer case that is not too expenssive. i called many yunk yards, but i cant find any, (they are jeeps, they dont break that often), so if anyone has an idea let me know. thank you

what transfer case you looking for I know of a few for sale and what kind of price range you looking at ,and last but not least whats it going in

by any chance does a t-case form a 6 cyl. fit, by the way my jeep is a 97 wrangler 4 cylinder 5-speed manual. or if any one knows the any different t-case i can put... i found one online and it says
"1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee & Wrangler Transfer Case 231J" would it fit??? thank you

yea my t-case broke into pieces as i was driving on the high way two weeks ago. and since then iv been looking for one so thank you!!!

Sounds like you seized a front u-joint or CV. Not that uncommon. Look for a new front drive shaft while you are at it.

Yea well I have called a couple places and found nothing except for two places and they were both asking about $650 for it so I thought that was too much. So I’ve been looking on eBay and found one for $100 and it says it’s for 97 to 01 jeep Cherokee and wrangler but I’m not sure if it would fit. Ill post the URL, ill appreciate if you guys take a look and give me some ideas on whether it fits or not. Thank you again.
1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee & Wrangler Transfer Case 231J:eBay Motors (item 120478745530 end time Oct-16-09 11:23:25 PDT)

It likely won't fit if it came from a Cherokee, majority of those have a 23spline input and you need 21spline.

ok so for my 97 jeep wrangler that has a 2.5l and a 5 speed manual transmission, the t-case would have a 21-spline input right???

i was wondering if i was to get the t-case i found on ebay(link previously posted), and if it happened to have a 23 spline input if i could maybe replace it with the 21 spline input shaft of my original t-case, in order for it to fit??? thank you

Yes, you can swap input shafts between the two cases, if they're relatively the same year range. Reason being the input shafts changes slightly over the years with different gear cuts and different width bearings.

will the one I have out of a 1995 yj work had the 2.5 in it work for him?

Well i checked with the guy on ebay selling a t-case and he said it had a 23 spline input and tht it would fit but i guess he is just trying to sell or something. But then i dont know if a can change the input shaft between that one and my broken one.plus for the one who replyed just before me. Do you have a t-case???

So if the model numbers on two transfer cases are the same. Does that mean the two are the same and they are good to be swaped? I finally got my cousin to check the model number of the t-case on my jeep and its a 231j so the one on ebay claims to be 231j aswell. Would it work for me?

Can anyone who knows or has an idea please give me a hint. The action closes tomorrow and i dont want to lose that opportunity or buy something that doesnt work. So please let me know what you guys think.

Back