TJ Wrangler Quirks

mingez

So guys, I have my TJ and I love it!!!

I've found some strange "Small" details that surprise me. Little things like the pedals seem justified to the left a bit, compared to normal cars. (Maybe it's just me) Or the fact that the mirrors are connected to the doors, and thus, until I get new mirrors, I can't legally drive with my doors off. Some details that to you TJ/YJ guys seem like: "of course", but to me seem like: "wow that's strange". :?

So, prep me. Any other surprises in store for me? Surprises that are wrangler specific, not familiar to an XJ guy.

Thanks!

30 bucks will fix the mirrors. Just get relocation brackets for 97-02 brackets. BING!!
Remeber, you are in a smaller and narrower rig now, Everything will feel out of place. BING again
When your tires get out of balance you will KNOW it as the Wheel starts shaking side to side around 40-45 (first steps of Death Wobble)

Or the fact that the mirrors are connected to the doors,
Always wondered about that one myself. Wonder what engineering genius came up with that!
It's also gonna seem strange to you for a while when you turn around and look while backing up (Hey, where'd the rest of my Jeep go?!?), but you won't have to worry about parking anywhere ever again.

I have had death wobble in both my Bronco and XJ. AS a matter of fact my XJ is wobbling worse since the front axle snapped then got fixed...It's sucks. I've already got driveline vibes, need a cv shaft and SYE. what else? Weird stuff, like mirrors, flares. Things that are assed backwards.

CJs and Wranglers aren't backwards, Everything else is. They are the only NORMAL we have in this automotive world ;)

Mingez

Someone once told me the pro's of having mirrors on the doors but I"ve forgotten them all because I think it's the stupidest idea of any design I've ever seen! LOL

My My, your the only other person that has ever said anything about the foot pedals! I notice that too, I know that the hump gets in the way of my gas foot often times too.

Umm, I've learned to remember that when the soft top is up but the windows are out, that everything in the rear storage is going to get soaking wet.

Tip Number 2 on soft tops! I know them all when it comes to rain! If you don't install the windshield retainers when you put on your half windows (do you have these or not?) you'll get soaked, may as well not have the windows on at all!

Keep everything covered or inside of something else and locked up is even better!

I use the footman loop to hang a watch/compass from.

Umm, what else? I'll think of something! Be back if I do! Other than that, rip and growl my friend. TJ's ROCK!

Lady

Tip Number 2 on soft tops! I know them all when it comes to rain! If you don't install the windshield retainers when you put on your half windows (do you have these or not?) you'll get soaked, may as well not have the windows on at all!

I don't know I have a hard top... what do they look like? Or do they not exist with hard tops. I still have upper door windows. Are you talking about the gull wing thingy's?

Mingez,

I looked at your picture, its soft top! The things I'm speakin of, I realize today they are not called windsheild retainers but maybe window or door retainers? They are plastic and L shaped.

It rains alot here and I'm always looking for short cuts to covering the jeep. I rode with a few times with my half windows in without that L shaped plastic retainer. lol It rained as much straight through the gap in the top than it did if I'd had the window out. Bad idea! It seems like such a little peice of the window but it helps seal it up.

Lady

I dunno, when my doors ome off, my mirrors do to , and I think nothing of it!

I don't know about TJ's but YJ's the body's are very rough (factory) you can see the spot welds where the body pannels meet through the paint! get used to the musky smell, cause that interior is gonna get wet, and after a couple months off getting wet, it can start to give off a little odor!

Learn to SLOW DOWN it is a TJ not a C5 vette!

One Big Quirk, when you drive a Jeep with the top down and the doors off, if does not matter how ugly you are, Chicks will dig you! And they are gonna want a ride! (in the jeep at first)

Also learn what it is like to have NO MONEY I know owning a XJ is bad, but the after market for TJ's if huge and expensive!

And finally, Chicks will dig you!

LMAO This could be bad for GIRLS with Jeeps:

And finally, Chicks will dig you!

:roll: :roll:

No seriously, PEOPLE dig TJ's. Male and Female. lol MY Tj is always the topic of conversation at any backyard bash. It gets more attention than the guest of honor at most parties!

Lady

They are called "Door Surrounds" If you have a hardtop on those have to come off, but you have to put them on before you do the soft top.

what they are getting at is that the doors are removable, yet most states have laws that require side view mirrors...

catch 22...

LadyJeepFreak said:
Mingez,

I looked at your picture, its soft top!

Lady

Hmmmm? I have a hard top, fitted to a jeep originally with a soft top...i think. It's a Steel Horse after market Targa hard top.

1972 CJ5

Duah! I just looked in the pic and saw you had no top on and figured it was a soft one that you had. I don't know many hards that take thiers off

**Quietly steps out of this thread before she types anything else retarded :roll: **

Lady

jps4jeep said:
One Big Quirk, when you drive a Jeep with the top down and the doors off, if does not matter how ugly you are, Chicks will dig you! And they are gonna want a ride! (in the jeep at first)

Uh-Oh. Then I'm in trouble cause I'm GORGEOUS!!! :lol: JK.

Back