Tightening up E-Brake on 95 YJ

Conrad906

The e-brake on my new YJ needs to be tightened up. It won't hold the jeep on an incline by itself, I have to leave the jeep in gear. Is this something I can do myself? Or do I need to take it to a mechanic?

you can do it your self. it should just be tightening some nuts on the cable by the pedal or down underneath at the "Y" junction where the lines split to the two rear

Could also be brake shoes for e brake need adjusting. Either way it should be a fairly painless adjustment.

Does the pedal feels it grabs before it reaches bottom? If not, crawl under the Jeep on the driver side. You shoul dsee the Y connector there. Get a wrench, and adjust it until the pedal feels that it engages.

If the pedal feels like its grabbing, then adjust your brake shoes. Try first backing up and braking hard. If that does not do the trik, you may need to adjust them manually (again, not that hard).

If all else fails replace the cable itself.Mine must have been used a lot and was stretched.I ran out of adjustment and had to replace the cable itself.Still a fairly easy job to do with some basic hand tools.

Also make sure that when you press the e-brake both cables tighten up; I need to check mine because one tightens up more than the other, so I need to adjust that.

jfrabat said:
Does the pedal feels it grabs before it reaches bottom? If not, crawl under the Jeep on the driver side. You shoul dsee the Y connector there. Get a wrench, and adjust it until the pedal feels that it engages.

If the pedal feels like its grabbing, then adjust your brake shoes. Try first backing up and braking hard. If that does not do the trik, you may need to adjust them manually (again, not that hard).

You got it right the first time... I push it all the way, and it's not compressing enough. I'll hit up that cable tomorrow and see if that does the trick. Thanks fellas!

Back