Thinking of selling the TJ

Mxpx182lit

I know you all arent going to like this idea. But i am thinking about selling my 1999 TJ. Its just one thing after another with this car. Last night i went wheeling with some buddies at our little spot in town, after which we went and hung out at a park. When we returned to the jeep i noticed all my auto transmission fluid on the asphalt under my car. Not a good sign. So i drove it home and got my dads Truck for the rest of the night. Well today i went to check out the damage to her and while looking under it i noticed that i had somehow managed to break the welds that hold the driver front control arm mount to the axle and rip a solonoid out of the transmission. It is held on by 1 of the original 4 welds. In the process of wheeling i have also ripped off the muffler, dented and unbalanced the front driveshaft, bent a shock, burned out an ARB compressor, ripped an ARB air line out of the rear differental, tweaked teh body so the doors dont like to close too well, dented the gas tank enough so it only fills up 3 1/4 of the way, blew a good number of fuses, bent a body mount, etc, the list goes on forever. Im just sick of it and cant afford it any longer. Plus i have to pay to fix the Civic that my fair lead decided to dent. So I am broke.

Sorry, I'd have to say yes.

You either keep your Jeep and enjoy it, repair it, & maintain it no matter what or you just don't own the Jeep :wink:

-Nick :!:

i think you are selling it for the wrong reasons..... you seem to be selling it b/c it is breaking, and you break it b/c u wheel it.... i would say keep it, and dont wheel it for a while, while you can accumulate some $$$ then wheel the chit outta it and break it and fix it.... wheeling is not a sport for ppl that cant stand the breakage and cash

Sell it and buy another jeep.But buy a manual trans jeep.Manual transmissions last longer than auto's do.(depending on driving style)If you buy a neon(like dingus),it will be a sad sight.

well im thinking more along the lines of Toyota MR2, Honda Prelude, Acura Integra, or Acura NSX. Something i wont be able to wheel with but will still to able to modify and have fun with.

73 CJ5 for Sale

well im thinking more along the lines of Toyota MR2, Honda Prelude, Acura Integra, or Acura NSX. Something i wont be able to wheel with but will still to able to modify and have fun with.

Say it where we do not have to hear yu say it. You could have said a good ol V8 American Muscle Car. A nice Pick Up truck any thing but a Ricer zoom zoom car.

Tonight I was in the Surburban going thru town. Had a Coffee Can sounding ricer behind me doing the rive it up and I just had to kick her in nutural Floor th big ol 350 a time or two and them big ol pipes some how made the kid drive quiet for a ways. The boys were with me and Jake said I can't believe you did that this thing sound awsome. It was kind of funny to see his mood change.

If you have to give up on the Jeep at least don't go plum off the deep end. You can mod a swhinn bicycle or any thing else. Tug

Mxpx182lit said:

I think I'm gonna hurl... :?

oil pump for 4.0 looking for a home.

Lookin' at your pic's, I can't help but to think you must have known you were gonna cost yourself some $$$ when you play hard like that. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you buy one of those rice patties you'll wind up spending just as much $$$ beating them up too. If you're gonna play, your gonna pay.

screw it. I was just blowing off steam, thanks for the support. I got the jeep fixed, just need some welding done. im keepin her and am never gonna get rid of her. i think its love.

Lets look at this a bit. You spend alots of money to build a 4X4 and take it out and do 4+ trails and it breaks parts. First of all nothing...NOTHING you put on to your jeep is bullet proof. I have seen proven race products break time and time again. Those of us who take there rides to the extream expect to break some thing every trip. It costs me 90$ every time I come back from Moab to have my tires re-balanced and the front end alighned. Not including the parts I break I.E. u-joints, tie rod end's ect ect. You have to perform a carful inspection every time you come off the trial. That is a fact, off roading like we do is hard on any vehicle.

Now you want to play the fast and the foolish?
Building a street racer costs alot on money as well and once you push those little motors to the high end you will start to burn motor parts up just as well. And these parts cost a whole lot more. At the farthest extream there take a look at the top fuelers at a drag strip. There tear the motor down after every race and have it back together before the next heat.

You have a fine Jeep, you play rough and make it go places some here wouldnt even try. Yes you break parts...we all do and we accept it.
If you want a nice looking jeep and you dont want to break it, keep it on the road. The same goes for the street racer once you build it up your going to see how fast and what it can do, you will break parts, burn a motor ect. Stick to off roading a 3MPH crash is survivable.

i think brian4.2 has had the best response yet... and i've seen some good responses... i remember you saying something about selling the jeep to fix up the civic.... well.. sell the civic and fix the jeep... a weld is nothing but a simple "burn away and replace metal" process... you can learn it quick...

and like said... if you want to build a street racer... get a car that has a complete motor, not just one half... if you start with a V8, you'll kill all the ricers around, STOCK, then you can modify... and no matter what car you decide to push to the limits, you WILL do just that, push the limits... its only metal, it CAN and WILL warp, break, wear away, and bend... but it can all be replaced, and it all costs money

and from the list of parts that you've broken, it seems that you are using it like should be used... and that is great... BUT... even though they are designed to be used offroad, it doesn't mean they are invincible... they WILL break, even with normal use.. my jeep breaks more from onroad use than it does from offroad use, i'm much more careful offroad than onroad... when i wheel, i wheel for me, because i like it.... don't try to impress anyone, keep the wheels on the ground, and keep the speed down... and if you want to drive crazy offroad, then good, i admire that... just keep a part of the wallet set aside for it

so like i said previously... no matter which direction you travel, unless you plan on driving like the "bluehairs"... its gonna break, and its gonna cost... it is a big trade off for fun... but worth it

Damn I thought purple had problems. I dont think you should keep it the jeep just because everyone thinks you shouldnt buy a ricer. (i dont think you should buy a ricer) I was in the same situation with Miss Purple, She was breaking down and I could not afford to fix plus the fact that my 2 year old wasnt feeling the cramped style in the backseat. So I went half way, I still bought a jeep (a grand cherokee) I love to wheel, and can still take it out on the beach but nothing serious I really believe thats why they made the cherokee sport and yj,tj's and stuff but the grand is not made for the abuse (just my opinion please dont jump on me for that) I just think its more of a luxury car but still a suv/truck. Good luck :wink:

Even if you decided to sell it you would be back. It does not take long before the itch starts and you got to go wheeling. It is like a drug you can't get over. Must have!!!!!!

85 Cherokee intermittant loss of power

so today i went weeling again and i snapped a tie rod end, losing my steering. Had to get pulled out by a land cruiser. The sad part is that i was going down a dirt hill! so now my jeep is sitting behind a land cruiser shop immoble. I see an Integra in my near future.

Back