That annoying shift indicator light

ZBTstang

Does anyone know how to remove, or to disable that damn light that pops up telling you when to shift? (On my 98 TJ) I hate it when something pops up on my dash....to me the only time a light should pop up is when something is wrong....and thats what I always think (and freak out) when I see it. [addsig]

trace the light wire back to the fuse box and un plug it and take it out of the dash bord (hehe) there's not much to it :evil: [addsig]

Hey I got the same thing in my 03X. I have not found the darn wire and can't get my hand in there it rip it out. I got a small Jeep Sticker and covered it up. Now when the lite comes on, it lites up the jeep. :cool: [addsig]

I hate that light too...but over the course of time I learned to block it out. I like that sticker idea[addsig]

If you remove the buld, I believe the rest of the lights won't work. They are all on the same circuit. I took my inst. panel apart and broke the bulb instead of removing it.[addsig]

LOL a this side up indicator! I always thought it was telling which way I was going.

Have you ever tried shifting when it tells you to? I was in 5th gear before I made it across an intersection. I shifted more than the semi that was next to me!
[addsig]

Highly annoying. Has anyone installed a vacuum gauge? I'm interested if the light is regulated by the MAP sensor.

I"m used to using my brain to know when to shift. Hmmm. Computer cars.

What would happen if the light didn't come on??? Redline then boom?? :-O

Please. [addsig]

I foregot I had a shift light until now, All of a sudden it is a mental problem again! Thanks alot ZBT LOL tug[addsig]

eh.. i can still block it out... and if i do notice it... at least its one thing that works on the jeep[addsig]

i'm pretty sure its RPM-activated. i don't think shifting into 5th gear before hitting the intersection is a great idea because it puts lotsa strain on the engine... sputters and such... not a good idea![addsig]

i think its MAP activated... because it does go of if you stay at a certain rpm above the shift point.. and it will come on again if you punch it... [addsig]

i'm lucky i have any working lights at all.[addsig]

The upshift light is controlled by the ECU. The ECU shuts it off after 3-5 seconds if the upshift hasn't occurred. The light will not illuminate in the highest gear due to a switch on the transmission (on some models). Alldata says "Engine speed and load are what determines when the ECU turns the light on." I'd says it's RPM controlled from the ignition module.[addsig]

but... if controlled by load... i don't see where the ignition alone could provide that information. the map sensor can detect load under different pressures

[addsig]

Back