studding tires

jeepcherokee

Hi all, so i have been running 31x10.5 BFG mud terrians all spring summer and fall. I would have told anyone to get them up untill about a month ago, when the snow started to fly. i tell ya there is no more stepping on it at any speed unless i am looking to get sides ways. So my question is has anyone done or heard of drilling holes in the outside lugs to stud the tires?

Re: RE: Winsheild channel hardware for Bestop...a question.

How much tread ya got left...those should make some pretty decent snow tires unless they are worn down too much.

Terry

heh, mudders suck in the snow, i wish you hadnt said anything about studding though, cause now you got the wheels in my head going....

As for the tread life i would say at about 95%, tire pressure is at 28psi all the way around. As for being good in the snow, well off road yes, on road no, see the chew down untill they hit someting firm and around here that is ice right now. I am really liking the idea of studding the tires because my friends have started calling my hockey puck(cause i slid everywhere). but as an after thought maybe if i stopped driving like it was a porche......

MT´s don´t really work very well when the snow freezes. Seems a whole bunch of little teeth often get a better bite than a few big ones.
Have heard some of the guys siping (having extra grooves cut) in there tires. Gives the tire few a more edges to dig in with, also said to be some better in the rain.
I´ve had some reasonable success dropping my pressure to around 26-28 PSI, seems to help the side lugs, dig in a little better, but really no large improvement. The wifes XJ with AT´s, does much better on frozen snow than mine, with MT´s.

RE: removing rear track bar help

If you check out the holes molded into the tire for a stud, they are wider at the botttom, where you can´t see. A typical stud looks something like an upside down "T". It would be hard to do an after market job of installing the holes with the wider base and I don´t know if I´d trust an adhesive.
I´ve used studed tires and have flung a stud on occasion, you can usually hear them strike the inside of a fender well. But I always wondered what happened to the studs that flew out the rear at 50+ MPH. In other words, they can be dangerous.
Personaly, what I do is I keep a set of 215`s on rims with a good set of chains installed. I Install the chains with some air removed and then reinflate fully (makes them nice and tight). Also keep a small 2 ton floor jack handy. Chains are about the only option, when sheet ice is covering everything. Studs are almost impossible to find here.

Just my humble opinion, but I have found no tire, no vehicle, and no 4X4 system that does not slide on ice... I've got the ATs on mine, does OK if I'm feathering the gas, but if I put the foot down to hear it roar, my back bumper's coming up to say hello...

Back