Stereo

86cj

I am new here and have learned a lot in the short time reading through the posts. I have a 1986 cj7 Laredo 5 speed, I6. It has everything for the air conditioner, but we are going to remove all of that. The :shock:pO made a mess of the dash by cutting a larger hole in it (and a crappy job at that) he then put in a cheep stereo (rampage). Now I need to find a way to put in a new stereo that: 1.) will cover the hole and
2.) a good stereo

Any suggestions on a good stereo?:)

I really dot want to have to put in a whole new dash. Does anyone have any ideas. Any would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone in advance

Check out crutchfield.com.. Many to choose from.

I have the stock system with better speakers.

I'm using the Pyle marine A.M. /F.M., CD with an aux input for mp3's and a remote head unit so the radio could be locked up in the glove box but can still be controlled from the remote head. For the amp., I'm using an 11 channel Bose with a matching subwoofer.

Possible solution for your "big hole" problem:
A P.O. to my CJ-7 cut a hole too big for the "DIN" style stereo so I used the factory style overlay trim template that surrounds the gauges, radio and speedometer housing. This is the cover that came on the more upscale CJ's like Laredo and Renegade packages. It is purely cosmetic but the replacement from Quadratec or 4WD Hardware covers up the ugly oversize hole. It is also perfect if you want to convert your CJ to the "Radio Delete" option dash, install an original "shaft style" radio after a later "DIN" rectangle was cut or put your CB radio where the stereo went. A friend has the Tuffy security console so the stereo is in there and his CB is where the stereo was originally and this makes it look almost factory. You can get this in black or stainless steel. I cut it to the correct "DIN" size where the radio goes, then stuck a Pioneer stereo with MP3/WMA and aux input for iPod/Sat radio. This fixed the "huge hole" problem in my Jeep and so far everybody thinks the radio looks like it was professionally installed.

Rick

I have a 95 yj and where I do not share the problem of an unsightly hole in my dash, I do share the problem of finding a good deck. I have been trying to decide whether or not to go with a marine deck or a standard deck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey you can get from any online stores... Try them there...

crutchfield install kits are second to none... they work
if youhave a dremel they work even better. the kits come with the wire harness that plugs into the factory plug and they show you where all the screws are (even the hidden ones) for your install
i used crutchfield on multiple vehicles.... for decks and install kits. DAbOMB

have you thought about a double face size unit ?Alpine pioneer and sony make several that incorporate all the goodies like MP3,sat ready,and GPS.
Available online,BestBuy etc.. but pricey$$$$

stability, buffered cd player, gps is nice... think about how you drive your jeep and what you need. removable face and a lock box for when running around topless.

a mp3 USB option removes any skipping issues when offroad. usb thumb drivs are available in very small sizes with big storage. less than 1 inch long with 4-12Gb of tunes. you will run out of trail before you hear the same song twice

Back