steering knuckle (ball joint prelaod bushing?)

lowater

hello, i have searched the web with no luck so i thought i would ask the experts.
i have a 2001 jeep cherokee with a dana 30 up front, i need to change the drivers side steering knuckle due to
a wollered out tierod hole. my question is do i need a knuckle with the preload bushing for the lower ball joint or without.
i ordered a ball joint kit for my front end and it came with preload bushings, and i bought a good used knuckle before knowing there
was a difference. the knuckle i bought has no preload bushing. hope yall can help, thanks

oh ya i dont wanna tear into it before know that i have the right stuff,i know i could get the answer that way. thanks

Did you get this sorted out?

I'm not sure what you mean by preload bushings. I did a google search but didn't come up with anything.

Did you get this sorted out?

I'm not sure what you mean by preload bushings. I did a google search but didn't come up with anything.

Ball joint preload bushing ? On a steering knuckle ? All I can find from a Haynes Wrangler manual and Chilton cherokee and Grand was a splint ring seat which could either be YJ, XJ,MJ or the like. But no reference made to a preload bushing in relation to a steering knuckle or ball joint . The split ring was used , according to the manual , pre-1990 lower ball joints . It threaded into the lower steering knuckle seat, set to a specific depth . You are supposed to swap from old to new steering knuckle upon replacement , it advises. Could this be what is being referred to ? But on a 2001 ? Could a picture be posted of the parts ?

Ball joint preload bushing ? On a steering knuckle ? All I can find from a Haynes Wrangler manual and Chilton cherokee and Grand was a splint ring seat which could either be YJ, XJ,MJ or the like. But no reference made to a preload bushing in relation to a steering knuckle or ball joint . The split ring was used , according to the manual , pre-1990 lower ball joints . It threaded into the lower steering knuckle seat, set to a specific depth . You are supposed to swap from old to new steering knuckle upon replacement , it advises. Could this be what is being referred to ? But on a 2001 ? Could a picture be posted of the parts ?

greg92 your right its a split ring that preloads the balljoint. sorry for the wrong termanology, thats what i heard someone call it. heres what happened i needed a knuckle so i ordered a good used one, then learned about the split ring and noticed the one i got did not have that and i
freaked and thought i bought the wrong knuckle. i was not sure if mine had it or not? so i have come to the conclusion that i dont need
the knuckle with the split ring. but reguardless if my vehicle has the knuckle with the split ring, the knuckle i got is what the manual advises i replace it with. i also ordered ball joints for it and it came with split rings? good thanks guys i have been searching for this info for days. i will
start rebuilding my front end now. thanks again fellas

here is a pic of the vehicle in question. My new toy!!! :D

Attachments

• 20130426175221.jpg
    20130426175221.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 62
greg92 your right its a split ring that preloads the balljoint. sorry for the wrong termanology, thats what i heard someone call it. heres what happened i needed a knuckle so i ordered a good used one, then learned about the split ring and noticed the one i got did not have that and i
freaked and thought i bought the wrong knuckle. i was not sure if mine had it or not? so i have come to the conclusion that i dont need
the knuckle with the split ring. but reguardless if my vehicle has the knuckle with the split ring, the knuckle i got is what the manual advises i replace it with. i also ordered ball joints for it and it came with split rings? good thanks guys i have been searching for this info for days. i will
start rebuilding my front end now. thanks again fellas

Great to hear it will be roadable soonest ! Glad to help and that I had the right info for you too ! I didn't get it at first or would have replied the same time you posted . Just wanted to be sure of my research was right , but you got good people looking out for you in our forum so don't worry , the replies will roll in so you can keep your jeep on the road and off your drive way ! LOL !
All to glad to help if I can , hope to hear good news when you can , when your not too busy putting mileage on your new jeep !
Best of luck and thanks for your reply . Greg92jeepxj .
P.S. - wish my jeep were as shiny as your , working on it though

thanks alot, i will try and get it done this weekend, i will let all know how it gos and pics out on the trail coming soon.

Back