State lift laws... accurate?

Joopin\' said:
Check this out...
http://www.customtruckshowcase.com/laws/StateLaws.html
I hope this isn't accurate for my sake, I plan on going bigger than ny or nj allows!

theyn you just need to make it a trailer queen.. or run smaller tires for the inspection. the lift laws aren't all that bad really... if you need to put more than 36" on a jeep you're doing something wrong.... not to mention i dont think you'd get them to turn....

What was on there for massachusetts is completely true. I used the formular when I was thinking of what life to use on my jeep, and It turned out I could only put on a 2.5 suspension lift and run 32" I went with 4 3/4 inch and 33's I just kept my stock tires and when I get inspected, I always go to a different station and just say I had the springs re-arced. No one has cared yet. My friend jusat got certified to do inspections, and is a jeeper (89 YJ 305 chevy, 5 spd, 35's) and passes himself, so I am going to him!

police most likely will not bother you if you don't draw there attention (driving like a idiot, speeding) Most of my police friends said they would not pull over a lifted vehicle just for being lifted. One said he would if the lift looked unsafe!

Johnny

uhmm! 54" headlight law in Louisiana. I'm 53 1/2" to the center of the headlights. If it's too high I'll just let some air out of the 38's and turn them into whimpy 36's. :lol: :lol:

What is the best way to store a soft-top.

OK...I hate it when this happens.

I looked at the law for New York as given in the above link and then checked the registration certificate for my CJ.

The NY registration lists the CJ as a "2DSD." Using my treasured BOSCO secret decoder ring, I determined that "2DSD" is bureaucratic code for "2 door, sedan."

So...and you know what is coming....are the lifted vehicle laws listed in the web article applicable only to "trucks" or are they applicable to all vehicles to include a CJ...or YJ...or TJ?

Quizzically,

Gadget

HHHmmmm....

Rob,

My guess is that when you are towing a dog leashed to the back bumper or transporting a dead grandmother (cargo) the vehicle would be considered a truck and would then have to conform to truck lift rules.

I feel an "old guy" nap coming on.

Gadget

how too?

The utah law is wrong. They just changed it. It is based on weight of vehicle and hight of frame. I think all the jeeps would fall into the 24" from the ground to the frame. I am not sure what part of the frame you mesure from.

pine barrons run

Utah's little lovely sections pertaining to offroaders.

1-6-148.29. Vehicles subject to Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33 --

Definitions.

(1) Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33 apply to all motor vehicles with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 15,000 pounds or less operated or parked on a highway within the state.
(2) As used in Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33:
(a) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of the Department of Public Safety.
(b) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest longitudinal structural member of the body of the vehicle.
(c) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame. The distance is measured when the vehicle is unladen and on a level surface.

(d) "Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)" means the original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the original manufacturer.
(e) "Manufacturer" means any person engaged in manufacturing or assembling new motor vehicles utilizing new parts or components, or a person defined as a manufacturer in current applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).
(f) "Mechanical alteration" or "mechanical lift" means modification or alteration of the axles, chassis, suspension, or body by any means, including tire and wheels, and excluding any load, which affects the frame height of the motor vehicle.
(g) "O.E.M." means original equipment manufacturer.
(h) "Original equipment" means an item of motor vehicle equipment, including tires, which were installed in or on a motor vehicle or available as an option for the particular vehicle from the original manufacturer at the time of its delivery to the first purchaser.
(i) "Wheel track" means the shortest distance between the center of the tire treads on the same axle. On vehicles having dissimilar axle widths, the axle with the widest distance is used for all calculations.
(3) The provisions of Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33 do not apply to the following vehicles:
(a) implements of husbandry;
(b) farm tractors;
(c) road machinery;
(d) road rollers; and
(e) historical vehicles or horseless carriages that have been restored as near to original condition as is reasonably possible.

Amended by Chapter 47, 2001 General Session

41-6-148.32. Prohibitions.

(1) A person may not operate on any highway within the state a motor vehicle that is mechanically altered or changed:
(a) in any way that may cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the roadway, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation;
(b) in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle;
(c) so that any part of the vehicle other than tires, rims, and mudguards are less than three inches above the ground;
(d) to a frame height of more than 24 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,500 pounds;
(e) to a frame height of more than 26 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 4,500 pounds and less than 7,500 pounds;
(f) to a frame height of more than 28 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 7,500 pounds;
(g) by stacking or attaching vehicle frames (one from on top of or beneath another frame); or
(h) so that the lowest portion of the body floor is raised more than three inches above the top of the frame.
(2) If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition.
(3) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a class C misdemeanor.

Now after sleeping through this , I still remember driving through Moab on Easter and Labor day weekends and seeing Uroc trucks,jeeps and rials driving down the main road that couldnt pass a state inspection with a 100$ bill attached to the frame for the inspector.

Maryland passed a law last winter that says any modification to the factory suspension shall result in the vehicle failing inspection! It's being fought, but it is still the law. My buddy got his YJ with a 2.5" EMU lift through. GOOD THING THEY ONLY REQUIRE INSPECTION ONCE (before you can get tags) after that, you're good to go

Hey Utah!

I just know that I'm going to be sorry for asking this question, but I just have to do it. Help out a city kid.

Re: the definitions, specifically (3)(a), ...aaaahhh.. ..uuummmmm.. ..aahhhh...what are "implements of husbandry"?

The bad joke possibilities about this are unlimited, but I will stifle myself.

Regards,

Gadget

with a smile on my face.. and some very bad thoughts..lol.. enough to get me thrown off the board for saying them....lol
Actually I have no friggin clue...I could call the Utah DMV and ask.. but I dont want the cops to stop by and haul me off to the padded room inn.
I think I will let that one question go by.

Farm Equipment = implements of husbandry

(Gadget slaps Gadget's forehead)

Well!!!

I am relived to know that should I move to Utah, there is no limit to the amount of lift that I might install on my disk harrow.

I am also relieved to know that the sport of governmental obfuscation is alive and well.

:mrgreen:

Gadget

Back