Someone PLEASE stop me!!!!!!!

L33TJ33P

I am SERIOUSLY considering taking a 2003 and sanding her down and going Olive Drab with A star and my numbers. I need someone to talk me out of it before I do it. Wonder what a TJ would look like Painted like the Jeeps of the Wars. Maybe a little like a Kieser?? WOOHOO See I am getting excited just thinking aobut it. PLEASE STOP me before I go too far

wait until the paint to get bad first!, i want to OD mine too.

'73 454 engine

Nahhhh ... don't wait! Do it now that would be soooo cool. And paint or insert some rivits and antique them. THen clear coat over it.

Hell, you got me thinking now.

do it; you won't be happy until you do - I did mine in desert sand tan, and I could not get it off my mind untill it was done; in the end, I was happy. It was not the best (Krylon camo), but I was happy.

Do it; don't look back - It's your Jeep; do it - - -

DO IT!!!! I always regretted not doing that to mine, and now it is too late. Who cares that it is a new Jeep. All the older Jeeps that are painted like that were new at one time as well. Why wait till it is 10 years old, when you can just go for it now. It will attract everyones attention as well!!!!

I just spent a few days removing Herculiner from my front bumper. Heads up!!!! this isn't a good Idea, If you chip it in anyway and don't notice it it will rust Under the Herculiner UGH!!! What a pain to remove.

Anyway, I stipped the bumper down to the bare metal and used a Stipping wheel to scuff the metal. Then Primer and Tonight OD Green. First step into ODin her all. I am searching for the Exact specs for the Stars and the Numbers. and then I will bedline the Tub then OD green ALL of her including the Bedliner.

You mean like the Jeep Wrangler Willys? http://www.jeep.com/willys/index.html?context='+context+'&type=newscopy

My '88 Commanche is going to need a rattle can paint job, and I've considered OD but it's still up in the air. We did a buddy's Commando in Camo and it turned out great.

Not Quite, BH. More like Authentic Markings. I am searching for Stencil makers right now. I need 20" star, 6" star, 3" starm, Tire Pressure, Fuel Tank Caution and "USMC 080175" for my Numbers.

Here are the styles I am looking into.

Lettering:
image-missing.png

Stars:

image-missing.png

OR
image-missing.png

Basically look like this:

image-missing.png

The Fender Flares will come off also and I will patch up the holes.

From then on all Armor will be OD Green

Wow, that's going to look soooooo cool!! Be sure to keep us updated on the progress of it.

GAH, ya'll were posed to try and talk me out of it, so far all I have is my mom that tells me NO. Gunna take some time, maybe I can get started before winter gets here if not have it done.

I think with the Tan top I have it will look more Authentic also. Considering most of the military have Tan or Green tops. IF they used them.

:::Edit:::

Now I need some pointers on Sanding the Old stuff off. Should I just Scuff the old paint or take it down to Metal. and primer and then OD (Over Dirt) it. what would be the best way to sand it down, by hand or use the little Occilating Sander I have with a High grit paper.

DO it!!! that would look awesome. Have you considered doing a flatty conversion on the fenders?

hehe's the "poison spyder customs" tube fenders, or you could DIY:

image-missing.png

Paint has only 2 main uses. The main use is to prevent the metal from rust. The second is to make it look nice. If you are repainting to change the looks then just scuff the old paint with a scotch bright sanding pad "red" or 320 grit sand paper. you dont want to strip it to bare metal because you will have to prime it again and you will also be stripping off the factory galvanizing. If you are repaint to repair rust or a paint pealing problem then you would strip to remove all traces of rust. Your 03 should not have any rust on it so I would not do this. If you need any more advice stop in at your local auto body supply shop and they would be glad to help you. Or you can drive it down here to me and I would be glad to help you paint it.

Taking it down to metal would be a crap-load of work - when you go to gently skuff the surface, be careful not to gouge the old paint.

I got too excited with the angle grinder and a wire brush were there was good, old paint; now it shows in the new paint.

Maybe there is some chemical that will take off the clear coat with out ruining the paint underneath.

If the clear coat is not pealing it will not need to be removed. Paint will stick to paint and primer. paint is not designed with etching properties to stick to steel like a primer is. There is also different primers. Etching or "wash" primers, primer fillers, and primer sealers. They should be applied in that order. If you are gonna just spray bomb your jeep then just scuff the old paint and paint it.

Might I just say if you have are that type of person that buyes a new vehicle every few years do not do it. If you are the type of person that runs it into the ground then go for it. The only thing is it will drop your resale value in the toilet even if it is done perfect. I personally would not do it on a newer vehicle but I would love to see how it looks so go for it.

The best part is that you will be able to really stand out. More than likely it will be the only newer Jeep in the Atlanta area with an OD job! Talk to a good paint and body man in your area and ask what he would do to prepare it for the new paint. If it be a scuff or a sanding job. Then ask for a price to get him to paint it up nice and even which you just can't do with a rattle can job. As for you stencles might look into just getting some vinyl cut for the job, can get it done bout anywhere now days. You are most defintly on the right path Grasshopper! You will never be sad! tug

Back