soa question

88tank

hey guys, im new here. just have one question right now. does anyone know if i will have to lengthen my drive shafts if i do a soa? i know i have to get shocks, spring perches and break lines...anything else?

Good news, you do not have to lengthen your factory drive shaft. What you need todo it throw it out! a SOA on decent springs will yeild somewhere in the area of 5-5.5 inches, A Tcase drop will only allow for 4> inches of lift. Your gonna have to install a SYE inorder to keep the D/S vibes to a minimum and to keep you from replacing the u-joints every other week!

RE: question about soa

your gonna have to sye and put in a new rear shaft for sure, if you do 2inch springs or higher your gonna have to put in a new front, mine was maxed when i did mine and i used 2 inch springs

well, that sucks. i was hoping to do this on a low budget. i figure that if i didnt have to buy the whole kit then i would save some money but it doesnt look that way. what is a sya or whatever you wrote..(cant see and forgot to look at the letters) about the transfer case or whatever. is this only a jeep thing because i had a 94 explorer on 44s and didnt have to drop the tcase. anyway, let me know a little bit more, thanks guys

SYE= Slip Yoke Eliminator

I have no idea specifically what it is/does, but I do know the definition.

kumho mud tires

it replaces the tailshaft of the transfercase... replaces the slipyoke output with a fixed yoke... you'll need a CV style driveshaft with a slipjoint somewhere on the shaft...

you CAN do the sye on a low budget... we did one about 2 years ago.. for under 200 bucks plus tires... its still lasting... but there are factors you have to have in place.. not everyone can just do that...

here is my SYE and shaft to give you an idea

image-missing.png

My entire SOA costed about 700 bucks including everything

88tank said:
i had a 94 explorer on 44s and didnt have to drop the tcase.
as in Dana 44 axles?
Or
44" tires? cause if it was tires, you must have had a completely custom suspension. I have a local 4wheelin buddy who has a 94 4door, and to get 35" tires on it we had to do a Solid front axle swap. with 6" of lift. and we needed to put in a new drive shaft, but his U-joints bind up contantly, we replace them almost after everytrip cause of the angles of the shaft.

what did you have??

RE: question about soa

when you say " is this only a jeep thing..." the sye is used on transfercases that have a slip yoke from the factory. Some vehicles have a fixed yoke from the factory, perhaps that explorer you had a fixed yoke... but I'm sure it needed a new driveshaft after putting the 44" tires on there... if you meant tires that is.
When I did my Spring over, I did have the front driveshaft lengthened to compensate for the lift. The rear ds I just chucked and got the CV shaft... the best way to go.

yeah, i meant 44 tires... it was dana 60 axles out of old f250. 5.0 swap from 96 explorer. she was bad. gears where 5.71 ratio. was a dream of mine but then it just got old hopping up that high. so im gonna do some work to this jeep to get it looking good run maybe 35s then probably sell it later on too. anyway yeah...

Back