So what will I need for this...

Jylanthas

RE: 98 top soft top fit on a YJ?

I own a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I am looking on rusty's offroad site at the "add-a-leaf" kits because i usually have lots of gear/people in my vehicle and i am sick of the suspension sagging and bringing me lower to the ground when I am off-road. All I want to know is what all I will need. This is the kit: http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...D&Product_Code=300AL&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit
and it comes with:
• 2 - 3" Front Coil Springs
• Full-length Rear Add-A-Leaf
• Rear Brake Line Extension
• 4 - Rusty's Hydraulic Shocks
• Complete Instruction
Will I also need to get coil spacers to make sure that the front is level with the rear? Besides brake line extensions, is there anything else that I will need to worry about with only a small lift such as this one. Finally (dumb question) do 3" coil springs mean the lift will be 3 inches more or the total height will be 3". I would like no more than about a 2" lift, so is this the way to go?

Oh also, will my gas mileage decrease if i just lift it 2" and do not put bigger tires on?

BTW how do I insert pictures here?

RE: window problem

If you want the rear to last longer then I would get a whole new set of leafs. The add-a-leaf only works for a little while then starts sagging too. I'm not sure with the Rustys lift, but with the Rubicon Express I also got new lower control arms for the front suspension and bumpstops. Becareful of the lift twisting your front suspension. Make sure you get it checked out after lifting the Jeep. Good luck.

I have that very kit on my 1990 XJ and it does not sag whatsoever.
You can go ahead as soon as you open the kit when you get it and find the little brass looking metal bracket that they call a rear brake line extender and proceed to the trash can with it. If you are planning some big time rear axle travel, go get a factory replacment rear brake line for a 97 or so Wrangler, it is about 3 inches longer than the one on your Cherokee and just swap it out.
Also, plan on getting new lower control arms and spend the money and buy some good sway bar bushings and replace them while you are at it.
Also take a good look at your bumpstops and make sure they are good, it not, replace them while you have your springs out!!

Oh also, will my gas mileage decrease if i just lift it 2" and do not put bigger tires on?

To heck with gas milage, you want the bigger tires and you know it. Don't wimp out and just wish you had done it later and spend more money for another lift later on. Your mileage won't be effected that much, I still get around 15 or 16 in town with mine 1990 with 31's. If you are worried still just put in a K&N air filter and I'll bet you gain back most of what you will loose.

Now, go get em!!!

XJ weight

While we're on the subject what do you think of their budget add a leaf kit for a smaller lift? Just to get a little height.

With a '97+ XJ like your '99 you will likely need a transfer case drop for any amount of lift, including both 2" and 3". Jeep changed the TC output in '97 and even many jeeps with the factory UpCountry 1" suspension lift had vibes. The stealership warranty fix was a transfer case drop.

I made my own from 1/2" metal bar, cut the length of the transfer case crossmember. Then use the crossmember as a template in cutting the two holes in each bar. Two bolts and two studs hold the crossmember in place, so you'll have to back out the two studs (I used a pipe wrench). Then get 4 metric bolts 1/2" longer than stock to go back in.

Getting the CJ7 painted! Good colors?

a set of washers will also work to drop your t-case since you dont seem to plan on offroading it, so i doubt the brace would need to sustain an impact.

gas mileage will not change with only a change in ride height, gas mileage would change with tire size change and/or gearing change, so dont worry about that.

IMHO, if you're planning on keeping the stock size tires, 2" is the way to go, anything more than that and it might look a bit funny, spacers up front and add-a-leaf rear should hold up for quite some time. and really, you shouldnt have to extend your brakelines with 2" of lift, even with flex and offroading on an XJ, so you can disregard that part of the install as 90Xjay already said.

with a newer XJ like yours, you shouldnt have to worry about extra spacers. the lift should sit pretty even all around unless your front coils or rear leaf springs are really toast. here is an idea of what a 2" bb (Rubicon Express) will give you, its my roommate's '97(?) XJ with 30x9.5" kumho's mounted on my old 15x7 canyons from my ZJ.

you can click the images for larger pictures. as you can see, not a huge difference, but noticable. i think it looks really nice with a more aggressive tire on it.

RE: XJ weight

Do yourself a favor.. spend a few extra $$ and buy new 2" lifted leaf packs.. We just replaces a set in an XJ for under $200 for the set. Add a leafs on tired springs will only lead to trouble down the road. In our case a leaf busted about a year later (in both packs)

To comment on Bounty's comment on the T-case drop.. I second that.. the addaleafs didn't need the drop because the main springs were sagged. but the replacement pack is leading to some vibes.

RE: Progress, almost done....

While we're on the subject what do you think of their budget add a leaf kit for a smaller lift? Just to get a little height.

What good does lift do if you can't add bigger tires for more ground clearance???

I guess, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.
If you want a little lift for looks only and keep orginal tires, then go ahead.

But alot of us have made the mistake of not going far enough when you are building a trail rig and when you cut corners like not going with enough lift, you will just have to spend more money later.

There's a tutorial on posting pics in the "forum related" forum.

Get Rusty's 3" kit but get the one with the full leaf spring packs. You do not want an AAL made by any brand, especially if you are hauling your friends around.

You won't need anything other than a TC drop kit. You can relocate your stock brake lines if you want to but you really won't need to.

Back