Snow!!

To Judge, that way you get a bigger footprint. Just like when you're out four wheeling, bigger footprint = better traction. The guys that did the trek across the artic only ran about 10 pounds of pressure. Plus if you can put more weight in the Jeep, like some sand bags or something. That's why semi's do very well in the snow, they're heavy! When I take the Jeep to the ski area and there's snow, I pull over and deflate the tires a bit. Then put it in 4 wheel and fly up the mountain and watch the other's skid off the road. [addsig]

bigTlilODD...I got ya. I had never really had a problem with traction in my jeeps in the snow so i never thought about deflating the tires[addsig]

The snow is actually the reason why my family now has owned 5 jeeps. I was the first to get one (my beloved black TJ). Later that year my sister had totaled her car after losing traction and fishtailing into a much larger truck. She was in need of a new vehicle so of course I took her over to the jeep dealership. She was not sure she wanted to spend that much money until we took a Cherokee sport out for a test drive. The salesman was driving and my sister was telling him about her little accident. Well next thing you know we pull up to a for sale building with an unplowed lot. There must have been a foot -foot and a half of standing snow. Popped that sucker into 4wd and we went charging through there no problems. Later that day my sis bought the jeep and since then my brother has bought a YJ and TJ, I bought my 2nd jeep a grand cherokee, and my father is shopping for one for himself. If it wasnt for the snow I wouldnt have my jeep loving family. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.[addsig]

when i used to live in PA semi's certainly didnt do very well in the snow on hills and mountains, they'd all be jacknifed and back up traffic for miles...glad i dont have to deal with that around here anymore

[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>when i used to live in PA semi's certainly didnt do very well in the snow on hills and mountains, they'd all be jacknifed and back up traffic for miles...glad i dont have to deal with that around here anymore

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

At my job I deal with semi's all day long.(I work in a truck service shop) Though with the weight you would assume more traction which would be true if the tires they are running were made for the snow. More often than not the tires they are running cant deal with the snow itself. A lot of trucking companies are opting away from agressive tread patterns and going with more of a straight tread to same on fuel economy. Well it might save em a couple miles to the gallon but when it gets slick there just isnt any traction [addsig]

90% of the vehicles I see in the ditches are semi's during bad snow storms. [addsig]

4" in iowa, we had everything out doing donuts lol, friends' expedition, TJ, YJ, Rubicon, 8.1 litre GMC 2500, nissan stanza, 2 S-10's, haha we were quite a crew, cleared off the parking lot real nice lol. [addsig]

I spun out my Jeep, while my sis-n-law still owned it, in Colorado on the way to Vail to go snowboarding. I then realized that there was NO TREAD on the tires!!!!! This was about 4 years ago when there was a huge snow storm. We drove a prelude up to Colorado, then I took the Jeep from Denver to Vail. Semi's were passing us all night long and I didn't see one in the ditch, that night. As fast as they were going I thought for sure I would. The only time I've personally seen a semi off the road, is in So. Cal during the Santa Ana winds.[addsig]

Last year, coming back from buffalo on St Pat's Day weekend, we had a good whopper of a storm... I could not see the tail lights of the car ahead of me. I was basically driving by feeling the bumps... if i felt a bump, assumed I was off the road, and turned accordingly... On the expressway, within 2 miles of each other... I saw 2 semi's on their sides... the wind was pretty bad... there were many many many cars ran off the road... 4wd is my hero.... that and a good deal of patience[addsig]

I love driving in the snow, although the only time it gets nasty is when you can't see. But being up higher in my Jeep I have the added bonus of being able to have more lights on down low which cuts down on the 'starfield' effect of driving with lots of lights when the snow is heavy.

I have already used my Jeep to rescue a couple of inferior vehicles this winter... gotta love the 4WD!!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Also-despite what many people think, a smaller footprint is usually preferred in snow. A bigger footprint will float on top of the snow, not what you usually want. A smaller footprint will put more pressure on the snow and let the tire grip better. There are occasions in snow where a big footprint would be better- (like trekking in the artic and such) but for everyday street driving, a slightly skinnier tire would be better. Also, when you get in the slush, a wider tire will float on top and throw you vehicle around, the skinnier tire will push through it and get to the road.

I worked at a tire shop for over two years, so that is how I know this information... direct from BFGoodrich, Michelin reps.....[addsig]

BBJ, so it would be better to slightly up the tire pressure when driving in the snow? I dropped mine the other day, seemed to increase my traction, figured it was kinda like driving on the sand, bigger footprint more traction[addsig]

Donuts,I love donuts.The only donuts I have done were in a 95 gmc yukon.We went up to mammoth and found a huge resort parking lot. We spun the truck till we couldent take it any more. It was great. O ya no snow here in California.It was 90 degrees today. Sully
image-missing.png
[addsig]

actually.... you just want less flat spots on the snow.... the more sharp, small contact points you can get on ice/show... shippery stuff... the better... if you are in loose show... the wider tire is better... but if you are on ice.. you want a small contact point... you could have 15 inch wide tires that have more concentrated contacts than any mud tire[addsig]

In theory the bigger footprint makes sense, but in snow it is the opposite. There are times when a bigger footprint would help, but overall, a slightly smaller footprint with lots of biting edges is best. If you look at winter tires and compare the same sizes- i.e.-195/75R15 for instance in both a winter and all season, the winter tire will be slightly skinnier. Also, the tread pattern is distinct in that it has hundreds of sips in the tread which grip the snow and ice. That is why mud tires aren't very good on the snow and ice, big blocks of tread and not many biting edges doesn't go very well when the snow gets a glazed finish on it.

I would try raising the pressure ever so slightly and see what that does. It will of course cause uneven wear on your tires, but if it keeps you out of the ditch....

The best way to determine what works for you is to experiment and see- some vehicles react and handle differently to different tires.[addsig]

I can attest to the fact that Mud tires do not work in snow/icy conditions. Tonite on my way home I was headed up the hill that I have driven over a thousand times. A nice corner at the bottom before a straightaway. The roads were a little slick, but not slick enough for 4WD I figured. Well, about 500 yards later I was spinning tires in a 3' deep snowbank.

Words to the wise- even over 7" of lift and 32" mudder's can't save you from the clutches of a NY snowbank 3' deep..... And, if it looks slick, feels slick, it is slick, pull the 'ol short shifter to 4WD and make sure you make it home!!

Special thanks goes out to a fellow Jeeper who came to the rescue and pulled BBJ from the grasp of that snowbank....[addsig]

Today we got an additional 2.5" of no accumulation! Them weather crackers don'y have a clue. I am going out to play! Tug
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Oh what a great winter we just got another 7in of lake effect snow last night. I made it back from the work without even sliding once. Quadra-trac is awsome. Wrangler ATP tires are working very nice. When everyone else was sliding around my jeep and I were safe and stable. [addsig]

Back