slobbering, stumbling carter

FITZER

My idle tubes are dripping fuel, causing my YJ to idle terrible. Thing is, this weekend I took it all apart, and the tubes are clean and clear. The only way I can keep it idleing, is to set it at around 1100 RPM. And it still idles eratically and stumbly. Under acceleration, the thing runs great. When driving down the street though, at a steady speed, I can feel the thing 'bucking', and the same when coasting no throttle. I can feel the jeep surging. I've checked all the vaccuum lines, and they seem fine.

The only thing I didn't do, was check for an intake leak. Speaking of which, how's the best way to do that?

I plan on doing the 2100 change, but the adapter won't get here for another 4 weeks or so, and haven't gotten to a wrecker for a carb yet. So in the meantime, wanna get the carter to act better.

I use a spray can of carb. cleaner to check for intake leaks. just be careful when you try this. It is extremely flammable. Avoid spraying it on areas where there is a source of ignition like a distributor, exaust manifold and alternator. If you spray the carb. cleaner on the area where the intake leak is located, the idle will change. so keep your ears open and your eyes protected.

Ok. Got to thinking.(yes....scarey) Not that I may or may not have an intake leak, I've still got the dripping nozzles. Intake leak shouldn't have anything to do with that part of it. So, looks like I'm gonna have to take nozzles out again, and re-check and re-clean. All I can think of.

Back