SLIP YOKE ELIMINATOR WHY ?

JEG

Why install a slip yoke when you can lengthen a driveshaft for $100.00 or less?Several shops I talked with say that the kit is not very simple to install and is not recomened.[addsig]

if you break the rear driveshaft on a trail it is hard to get her home usin the front wheels. the t-case fuild will work its way out. but i agree, legthening the drive shaft id a good and cheaper alternative...not sure if it will get rid of drivetrain vibrations tho...[addsig]

When you do a SYE, you put in a CV shaft which helps reduce the angle and prevents you from wearing out u-joints

TARSI[addsig]

What were the reasons that they didn't recommend an SYE? Just the expense? Like tarsij said the whole point of the sye is to decrease the shaft angle and I heard there are problems if you don't use an sye. I guess if your really good, you can pull it off with a stock shaft too, though i have only heard of 1 succesful job. I like the thought of saving money of course but I've heard an sye is the correct way to go when installing a larger lift.[addsig]

better to do it right and work properly..then do it wrong or differnt and have problems. sye kit is like 300 bucks right? thats like a paycheck..but if ya can do it..more power to ya[addsig]

joopin

gearheads annon????

my old knickname in jersey!

taking me waaaay back.

good to hear from you.

blue[addsig]

If you lenthen the driveshaft wouldnt you still have a ujoint. Also by lowering your trans mount that should correct any angle problems right. I am installing 1 inch lift shackles and a 2 inch body lift , I let you know if the driveshaft falls out,after I have the driveshaft lenthened, and beefed up.[addsig]

I have the currie SYE and the double cardon (cv) drive shaft and it's the best thing i could have done to fix the angle. That set up is bad ass. If you need to fix the drive shaft angle that's the way to go. You get what you pay for.[addsig]

Thanks for the info. how much did it cost and how long was your jeep down for?[addsig]

the t-case fuild will work its way out

Uhh the t-case fluid will POUR out. Whenever I replaced my transmission I had to remove the driveshafts (of course). Well when separating the rear u-joint from the yoke the driveshaft accidently slipped out and I was covered in ATF in a matter of seconds. You can get away with it though if you don't wheel but if you do you may want to consider it. Especially if you are planning a spring over axle.

Go ahead and do the lift then try this...take a big jack and jack up your jeep by the rear bumper until the rear wheels are off the ground. Now look at your driveshaft angle. Now tell me you don't need an SYE/CV shaft. Even if the shaft doesn't fall out the angle will probably be so severe that your driveshaft may physically bind and BOOM (this is assuming your u-joints don't go before you reach the trail). Now you are looking at a new driveshaft and possibly a new transfer case and rear axle as well. I GUARANTEE that stuff is going to cost MUCH more than the SYE and cv shaft.

Of course I am one to talk...I STILL don't have an SYE but I did lower the case. My angle is not that great but I am pushing it (4 inch lift).

[addsig]

and... if you lengthen the shaft too much... upon flex or load, you can jam your yoke into your Tcase... i don't think that tough slam is relaly good on the bearings[addsig]

yeah, just lengthening your driveshaft will not fix this problem. You have to shorten the amount of tailshaft coming out of the t-case in order to decrease the angle. That is key. :-x [addsig]

Hey RayOvac, what does cv stand for anyways... is this cv shaft an upgraded driveshaft? What is different about it?
And BlueBelle... what do you mean your old nickname? I came up with that logo and the name when I was lifting one day... and I made a bunch of stickers and that icon... [addsig]

I think CV stands for Constant Velocity. Not 100% on that, but pretty sure.[addsig]

If you lenthen the driveshaft wouldnt you still have a ujoint. Also by lowering your trans mount that should correct any angle problems right. I am installing 1 inch lift shackles and a 2 inch body lift , I let you know if the driveshaft falls out,after I have the driveshaft lenthened, and beefed up.

If your stock, you will not need to do anything to the driveshaft with a 1" shackle lift. The 2" body lift does not alter the drivetrain, so it's of no concern when dealing with driveshaft angles and lengths.

The CV (Constant Velocity) shaft is properly named a double cardan joint. It is used when the driveshaft is at such a steep angle that an ordinary u-joint will bind and/or cause bad vibrations. It uses two u-joints at the transfer case end instead of one. Look at the front driveshaft of a stock TJ or XJ and you'll see a double cardan joint near the transfer case.

Adding length to the driveshaft will not help the shaft angle at the transfer case output. Adding a CV joint without doing a SYE will make for a very short driveshaft, which makes the angle even steeper. A SYE can add around 4" to the rear driveshaft length, which will decrease the angle and allow for a CV shaft.

Lowering the crossmember will help alleviate the rear shaft angle and usually works for lifts up to 4", BUT you also decrease your breakover angle, which works to negate the benefits of a lift. You lifted to gain clearance, why lower the crossmember and give that clearance up.

My SYE and CV shaft will cost me about $150. I'm using a TJ rear housing for the transfer case, and shortening a front CV shaft from an XJ. Also doing the hack and tap for the SYE.[addsig]

Thanks again Bounty Hunter that the correct information I needed. I installed the shackles today and they made a big improvement with tire clearance.31, 10 x 50 B.F.G.[addsig]

My jeep was't down for long but i don't drive it all the time. It's not my everyday driver. It spends most of it's time in the garage. I don't do gears so i sent mine out to Rightgear.com and i had it back the same day.[addsig]

Back