Shocks

r_gormanCJ7

I need to replace the shocks on my 85 CJ7 and I'm looking for some advice. I can't spend crazy money on anything like the rancho RS9000 and I'm not sure what there is for shocks that perform well with out costing a fortune. I'd appreciate any advice that you have.

------------------
thanks,
Ryan

I've got the 9000's myself, but I've heard people are pretty happy with the 5000's. I just liked the idea of being able to adjust them in case the ride was too harsh.

Terry

------------------
'85 CJ-7 - 33s, total of 4.5" lift, TFI ignition, plus more. Click here to see it

RE:SHOCKS
SHOCKS ARE A TUFF CALL, BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT BRAND IN MIND AND WE ALL HAVE OPINIONS. WELL HERE'S MINE. I HAVE USED SEVERAL DIFFERENT BRANDS INCLUDING RANCHO, AND WHEN MY JEEP HAD 31 INCH TIRES FOR STREET USE THE RANCHO 5000 WORKED GREAT. WHEN I WENT TO 33, THEN 35 INCH TIRES MY NEEDS CHANGED, I'M NOW 5 INCH LIFT HIGHER WITH LARGER TIRES,WINCHES,BUMPERS,ECT. AND THE JEEP REACTS TO ROCK CRAWLING AND EVEN STOPPING DIFFERENT. THE RANCHO 9000 FIT MY NEEDS BECAUSE THEY WERE ADJUSTABLE.THE FRONT END WANTED TO DIVE DOWN AT HARD STOPS AND THE 5000 WEREN'T GOING TO HELP. WITH THE 9000 I CAN TURN THEM UP TO STOP DIVING, WHILE KEEPING THE REARS AT A SOFTER SETTING FOR THE NICE RIDE,BUT I CAN ALWAYS STIFFEN THE WHOLE THING WHEN LOADED. YOU CAN SAVE SOME MONEY IF YOU JUST GET THE SHOCKS. THE IN CAR SWITCH LOOKS NICE, BUT I RARELY IF EVER USE IT AND WOULDN'T BUY IT AGAIN. WHEN I PURCHASED MINE RANCHO HAD A BUY THREE GET ONE FREE PROGRAM. GOOD LUCK

If you can, try to save up for the 9000's, they are like getting 5 shocks in one and they are worth the extra $100 buck's!
--------
MORGSTER! Hey nieghber, Tustin here.

------------------
SHAUN
image-missing.png

If you can, try to save up for the 9000's, they are like getting 5 shocks in one and they are worth the extra $100 buck's!
--------
MORGSTER! Hey nieghber, Tustin here.

------------------
SHAUN
image-missing.png

--------
MORGSTER! Hey neighbor Tustin here.

When I bought my CJ it had rs5000s already on it, and there's nothing wrong with them... but if I were you I'd get the 9000s... it definately sounds like its worth the extra $$$

what about the nitrogen charged pro-comps. they are only about $140 for a set of four. (I think)
If anyone would reply as to what shock they are running and how they like them would be greatly appreciated. Also if you wouldn't mind stating your suspension too, lifted(how much) or stock.
I'm going to be purchasing some shocks soon and I just wanted some input.

I have never used procomp shocks, but I've heard they are very hard. My procomp suspension is so hard that I can run without shocks and hardly notice it. That's why I got the 9000's, because I can set them on the softest setting now (for my hard procomp susp.), and when I change out the suspension, I can adjust the shocks to match.

Terry

------------------
'85 CJ-7 - 33s, total of 4.5" lift, TFI ignition, plus more. Click here to see it

Back