Several (related) Steering Problems

SenorCole86

Alright guys, I'm stumped again, this time dealing with steering. First off, rods and ends are new, so that ain't it. Here's the problems:

It gets stuck sometimes. I really have to crank on that wheel to get it unstuck and then it pops out of it and I jerk all over the road trying to regain control. It does it at high and low speeds and in both directions. For some reason, it seems that it happens more when it's warm out . . . that may just be me.

There is a popping noise that accompanies this stick/jerk phenomenon. The popping noise doesn't always happen at the same time as the stick/jerk though. I dunno.

It's down to shaft, box, and ball joints now, all of which are either expensive or a PITA, so I don't know what to do next. I have not been able to reproduce the problem on jackstands as of yet, so I'm stumped. Any help y'all can give me would be great.

P.S. It's manual steering.

Did this happen before the new rods and ends? If not, check closely to be sure the rods and ends aren't getting hung up on something (look for exposed bare metal on one or more surfaces).

Otherwise, going off of what you've described, my guess would be the steering gear box. There is likely a broken gear tooth (or more than one). Unfortunately that's the expensive part to break. Do you notice any loss of fluid from the box?

I don't know if a ball joint would create the stick/jerk phenom that you're experiencing. Perhaps someone else is more experienced in ball joint diagnosis. I do know the ball joints are a PITA to replace... had one explode on me as I was heating the metal around it to remove the ball joint; that thing hit me in the arm and narrowly missed the side of my truck.

Yes, it did this before the new rods and ends too. The rods aren't rubbing or anything. I suspected it was the steering box. A second opinion has really strengthened my resolve. Unless anybody else has got anything to say about the ball joints, I'm going to look into getting a new box.

Does it feel like it's coming from the axle or the steering column?
My CJ has had a slight bind for years that is coming from that bearing in the lower part of the steering column. It's pretty easy to feel that it's close to the steering wheel when it "thumps."
Good luck.

My steering pops and rattles, it is in the bearings in the column. Don't if this is it but could it be the axle u-joints? Even with the hubs un locked and in 2-wheel drive the front axle will sometimes turn just a little. Maybe the u-joints have seized causing the steering to get hard at times. Since it's probably the box anyway, why don't you upgrade to power steering, parts are plentiful!

I think it's a little more than a bearing, because it takes just about all my might to get the thing to turn when it sticks good.

Recent development. I put it in 4wd and locked the hubs and drove around like that for ten minutes or so, and that fixed it. After this, I think I'm inclined to agree with big-o-tom about the u-joints. I suppose it could also be wheel bearings. Does anybody else have any ideas?

The new parts fixed most of the problem, but I can still feel it in there. I've got to drive me and my girlfriend back to Texas in a few weeks and I really need to get this taken care of.

When the hubs are locked, the problem goes away. As soon as I unlock the hubs, the problem comes back almost immediately. I've taken apart the hubs and they seem to be working just fine and are well greased. Any help at all would be great guys. Thanks, have a good one.

Last edited:
It seem's to be either the hub or the axle. I would take the axles out and drive it around and see if it's any better.

I agree, and it only takes a few minutes to pull the driveshaft. Once you pull the axles out, gear oil will leak out unless you keep it fairly level. And when you do get the axles out, check the u-joint to see if that's what your problem was.

I have never seen a u-joint seize. Usually the needle bearings end up falling out, leaving play in the joint.
The only time I experienced a wheel bearing failure, it felt more like the brake was stuck on one side. Then it started crunching and popping and was a dead giveaway.
Either way, if the problem is in a bearing or joint, you will likely find it when pull the shafts and be able to fix it before the long drive.

For anyone searching this thread, I thought I'd post the results. I pulled the shafts out and it was indeed a seized u-joint. I can't bend the joint at all, it's stuck pretty good. All of the lubricant had also dried out of the spindle bearing on one side and it was missing needles and grinding.

Back