Running 33' s with a dana 35

Eric

I was just wondering if I would be ok running 33's with my dana 35 with a trac lock lsd? I've heard bad things about the dana 35 with bigger tires. Also, if I installed superior alxe would I be ok?

I ran 33s ok. Lots of abuse only broke one axle. Always carried spares.

I was running 33's on a d35 with lsd for quite a long time. I might have had a freak occurrence but my rear diff literally exploded. I can post pictures if you want. But you really have to watch your 35. Some get by with a lot, others seem to not.

Eric said:
I was just wondering if I would be ok running 33's with my dana 35 with a trac lock lsd? I've heard bad things about the dana 35 with bigger tires. Also, if I installed superior alxe would I be ok?

You will be fine

Ok, thanks. I think I will run the 33's with the dana 35 and carry a spare until I can afford some superior axles for my dana , or maybe a 8.8 ford.

Wouldn't waste the money on the chomo's go right to a beefier axle and save the money.

You will be fine with that set up, LSD generally do not lock up 100% and will also for some slippage

jps4jeep said:
Wouldn't waste the money on the chomo's go right to a beefier axle and save the money.

You will be fine with that set up, LSD generally do not lock up 100% and will also for some slippage

I konw that but there real nice for towing and wont ruin tires or shorten there life whatever

i ran 33's on dana 35's broke 3 axels before swapping to a ford 8.8" i found from a junk yard out of a late 90's explorer ran great and a lot stronger then the 35 i found

I run 33s on my d35 and that's the only thing that has survived on my jeep... I have done more work on my d30 than my 35

If you put a 44 in something heavier than a jeep its only good for 37s? Does that mean its crap?

Jeep should have never used the Dana 35 or the Model 20 both AMC junk.
The Dana 44 is still the one to get!You know the Dana 35 was a AMC axle?
When AMC was going out Dana picked it up I don't know why must have got a good deal on them.

The D35 is based off the AMC 15 tooling that Dana/spicer purchased from amc when they were going belly up in like 84 or 85, the AMC-15 was basically the little brother of the M20 and was found in the back of amc concords and eagles and all those really cool 4wd cars from teh late 70- early 80's. The initial design was never to be a wheeling axle but for passenger cars (hense why the AMC-15 was not used in jeeps. BUT the D35 was not a AMC axle, as far as I know, they do not share components (carriers or gears) only the D35 tooling originated from the AMC-15 tooling. Not to say the two are not equally weak.

Ok, thanks for everyone's imput. I was still wondering if anyone knows if the rubicon springs are any different than any other tj. Thanls again for all the help!

Back