Rubicon / H2

I actually drive the worst Chevy Pickup ever made.
Smallest engine, IFS.... I believe if you can't drive over it stock, back up and try again..

I am sure that many people on here are not going to like this but if I had to get rid of my Jeep for another 4x4 it would be for a Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 like the one I once owned, not a Hummer. I like the short wheel base and the affordability of making it the way I like them. I was actually looking for another FJ40 but then I got a wild hair and test drove a Rubicon. I loved it! But to be honest I enjoy all 4x4s. It is a sport that lets you be one with nature.

I like that new jeep's wheelbase. Now if they just came with a little more factory height..

White said:
And before someone says "because jeeps are far superior "
Let me extend a Friendy Challenge. Anyone with a "Stock" jeep. No Lift (no shackels) one locker, biggest tires you can fit. Wants to Challenge me to several trails, with a small wager. At the only place with every type of trails. ( Paragon go figure).

If my jeep was stock suspension with 31's I would challenge you open with diffs.

More like 3000. But someday I will make it out and do some east coast wheeling.

Why do we bash on H2's? One word: "POSER."

Look up H2 on ANY 4x4 site, and about 9 times out of 10 you will see the word: "POSER".

It doesn't have as much to do with the vehicle itself, but more with the POSERS who drive them. That's why they get ripped on so much. Hummer's in the civilian world are not meant to carry weaponry on them. Hence the word: POSER.

It's like a RICER... but in 4wd form. "No, it's not a Ferrari, it's a Honda freakin' civic." Just like: "No, it's not a HUMMER, it's a Tahoe. "

Another reason why we Jeepers always compare Hummers to Jeeps, is because of the overwhelming number of them we run into on the trail. They are on the SAME trail... thus the comparison. I don't need to see Mrs. Jenkins during her "on" week for soccer practice carpool out on my trails.

And trust me... I ain't a hater.

As for the H1, never made fun of one. It's a good vehicle. A good, over-priced, status symbol of a vehicle.

BTW- White, I know what you know about 4 wheeling. And I know YOU are definitely NOT a poser. Just wanted to get that straight. :wink:

whiterubicon said:
I am sure that many people on here are not going to like this but if I had to get rid of my Jeep for another 4x4 it would be for a Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 like the one I once owned, not a Hummer. I like the short wheel base and the affordability of making it the way I like them. I was actually looking for another FJ40 but then I got a wild hair and test drove a Rubicon. I loved it! But to be honest I enjoy all 4x4s. It is a sport that lets you be one with nature.

I love my Jeep too!! And I'll never get rid of it. But I love the FJ40 and the Early Bronco. I had a 73 Bronco, and have regreted selling it since the day I did so. FJ40's are also awesome. I WILL own one someday.

OutOfStep said:
can anyone rip on the H2 enough?....fits in the same category as gold teeth....they just make people laugh at you when you're not looking.

GOLD TEETH!?!??!?!
rolling-1.gif
That's hysterical!

I think the H1 and Humvee are tough. The portal axles are just plain awesome. No they are not rock crawlers, but they do what they were designed to do and do it well. There's no way I'd spend $100k for one though - even if I had it.

The H2 was marketing brilliance. Anytime you can get that many people to overpay for something they do not need you have achieved marketing bliss.

White said:
Let me extend a Friendy Challenge. Anyone with a "Stock" jeep. No Lift (no shackels) one locker, biggest tires you can fit. Wants to Challenge me to several trails, with a small wager. At the only place with every type of trails. ( Paragon go figure).

How 'bout a stock Rubicon, but at a neutral trail (one neither has been on)??? I think I know someone who would love to take you up on that, but just for sport, not money.

If we disconnected the front diff to keep things fair, yes

or he can keep both lockers and I pick the trails.

L33TJ33P said:
Now, JP just started sending me the "Top Truck Challenge" Videos. they had one rig called the "Bummer" It was an H1 body kit on a K5 Frame with Solid Axles. THAT monster rocked.

I've got that video too.. tht bummer was allright.. plus it looked like an H1... those are solid and built for off-road.. the H2 breaks a tie rod going over a speed bump.. thats what you get when you put a 6000lb vehicle ona 5000lb chasis

White said:
If we disconnected the front diff to keep things fair, yes

or he can keep both lockers and I pick the trails.

Hey White, doesn't your truck have lockers front and rear? I think whoever your going up against should have the same... don't forget to video tape it!

All i say is this. HMMWV (Hight Mobility Muliti-wheeled Vehical) pronounced Hum-V is one awe inspiring machine when it is in action. Sure the thing doesn't flex like a solid axle anything but the width makes up for that in keeping it upright. the "From the Factory" Tor-Sen (Torque sensing) Differentials make most lockers seam like another added tow-hook. 18" of clearence is a deffinate plus for an "out of the box" rig not to mention if YOU decide to lift it and add more meat. Then let's talk about breakage. Sure, they're gunna break but never from some rock that you just tried to climb hitting a needed piece of driveline. No, they will break do to mechanical failure only. Slide up under one sometime. You will see that NOTHING is just dangling for a rock or tree stump to Rip out. It is all engineered and packaged into the "doghouse" that runs the entire length of the passenger compartment. I have seen these take a cross-cut of a hill at very high angles and not even once think about tipping. I have seen them drive in 5' of water while the driver pulls the canopy back and sits on the rear of his seat and uses a Hand throttle.

Most of the things I have seen are Marine Corps Hummers. But the H1 comes off the same line as the military HMMWV. The only difference?? They have a separate "Detail" line that the Hummer H1 continues on while the military get wooden seats and the Kevlar Armor with Dull Woodland, Desert or Olive Drab paint. And yes you Can Mount a Weapon on the Civilian Hummer. It has nothing to do with the Bed or the Passenger compartment, it is all in the Turret that is in the Military hard-top.

I don't compare my Jeep to this, this is Apples to Oranges. Would I like to have an H1 You know it. Would I take a military stripped down, wooden seated model first? Of course!! Will ANYTHING ever replace my Jeep? NO!!!!!!!!! But I would ride them side by side if I could.

P.S. I heard someone say that the military is trading in the HMMWV for a full sized truck?? The CUT-V or 3 Pax Full Size GMC Pickups, are still around, at least when I was in. You saw them less and less as they were sold to anyone that would buy at DERMO auctions.

And I do not want to get into the H2 LOL those are laughable no matter how you look at it.

As a defense contractor who repairs Humvees, I can tell you that they are good at a lot of things and operate well in various environments. The major problems you encounter in one are from the geared hubs and the engines. They have been made with several engines since inception and I personally don't like any of them. The oldest ones were prone to cracked blocks and all are underpowered. The central inflation system makes it feel like you are riding in a rock tumbler. I fit weren't for the military's extensive collection of parts and their maintenance capabilities, I think the Humvee would have fallen by the wayside. Just the mere fact that you can only get 4 people in that goliath of a vehicle is absurd. I think if they added some protection for the geared hubs and converted the engines to a Duramax or Powerstroke then they would have something.
A friend of mine who is notorious for showing off how much money he has, has got an H1 that is decked out. In the past year, he has drowned it in a creek, burned up the winch, had a cracked block, cracked transfer case, and busted radiator. Only the drowning was done on the trails. The rest happened on the street. It's definitley a poser mobile with the thousand pounds of racks and brushguards he has, twin DVD's, GPS, sound system, KC lights, etc...
The only good upgrade was the 38" TSL-SX's. BTW everytime we go on a big ride he jumps in with one of us.

point of interest... the H2 has a straight axle, unlike the H1.... major difference in the undercarriage too.

WARN cut away 6 inch Fender Flares for sale! NJ

Iam open front, Welder rear.
All stock suspension. El-chepo monroe shocks.. No disconnects ( never had swaybars) The weakest Ifs ever made...
Just a little old truck..

I'm beginning to think you have Jeep envy. Go trade the Chevy in and make yourself whole!!!

Just kidding man, I was just baiting ya, I don't know anybody with a stock Rubi (at least not very well). I'd love to wheel with ya when I build my YJ, but jes for fun, not to compete.

I've seen the pics of that ol white Chevy@ paragon and you don't need to prove it's trail worthiness to me. It was fun baiting you though :lol:

TwistedCopper said:
I'm beginning to think you have Jeep envy. Go trade the Chevy in and make yourself whole!!!

LOL :)
image-missing.png

Jeepz are great offroad vehicles no question, I have nothing against them. I usually tow them for free ! j/k

if you 're not gonna buy a jeep, at least make it a ford... then I wont have to pull you out every 5 minutes...lol

Back