Ring & Pinion - maybe more...

graewulf

real strange problem - suggestions?????

95 ZJ
Chrysler rear (no, i can't afford to do the upgrade, and its stock so the stock rear should be fine)

I have the typical Chrysler whine coming from the rear on my ZJ - I am assuming I will need a rebuild to correct this - it is starting to get louder so it is time to start looking at getting it fixed. I have never taken a rear apart, but have no problem doing the work. DOes anyone have experience with this issue/have insight into what is involved in fixing it? I am not going to re-gear, I'll replace with same parts. Can I do it myself since I am just swapping parts for like parts? I know you need to know what you are doing to set up a gear pack, but if I am careful and put it back together just as it came apart, am I asking for trouble?

next question: any NJ jeepers know how to do this and willing to lend a hand? I'll do most of the dirty work, I just need someone with experience looking over my shoulder.....

I know alot of guys on here will tell u not to do it . But i pulled mine apart [Dana 35] and replaced all the bearings . That was about 4,000 miles ago and it is still fine. I just bought some shims and had to put it in and out 4 or so times till i got a good contact patterm. It took awhile but it really wasnt as bad as some said it is.

I've got a 91 cherokee, and I'm starting to notice a noise from the rear end and a vibration, so I'm thinking its rebuild time. I'd appreciate any guidance you care to share as far as pulling it apart. Thanks y'all.

Could it be possible you have the ZJ Dana44 with the aluminum center section? These are notorious for tweaking the housing which would explain your noise.

Upgrade now, or pay again later.

Wish that was my issue... but i definitely have the chrysler rear..;(

Back