Reverse lights 98 xj

killerb7854

Can't get the reverse / backup lights in my 98 cherokee to work. I replaced the neutral safety switch but still no luck. They used to work once in a while with the old switch but I haven't seen them work with the new switch yet. Tried adjusting the switch but still couldn't get them to work. Truck starts in park but not neutral.

Any Ideas??

PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH

The center terminal of the park/neutral position switch is the starter-circuit terminal. It provides the ground for the starter solenoid circuit through the selector lever in PARK and NEUTRAL positions only. The outer terminals on the switch are for the backup lamp circuit.
SWITCH TEST

To test the switch, remove the wiring connector. Test for continuity between the center terminal and the transmission case. Continuity should exist only when the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL.
Shift the transmission into REVERSE and test continuity at the switch outer terminals. Continuity should exist only when the transmission is in REVERSE. Continuity should not exist between the outer terminals and the case.
Check gearshift linkage adjustment before replacing a switch that tests faulty.

Attachments

• xj807245rev lamp ckt.gif
    xj807245rev lamp ckt.gif
    13 KB · Views: 1,191
Back