Recaps

Snitty

what is everyone's opinions on recap tires... i can get a set of 4 of any tred pattern i want, on any size i want, up to 37's... for $135.... might this be a good option?

Depends a lot on the manufacturing process and how reputable the manufacturer is. I've owned a set of retreads from www.high-tec-retreading.com and have no complaints. Several members in our club currently run these tires with not a single problem onroad or aired down offroad.

I had this conversation with my father a while back and he was telling me about a set of retreads he had on his truck back in the 80's and he said they were great tires. says he got a good amount of miles out of them.

For the price why not, you try em out and tell us all about them! You be the research guru!

My son Will has a set of very agressive mud tread recaps on his truck. Got a set of 5 for like 160 bucks mounted and they have worn like a Pigs Nose. Tough and get great traction. The only time he has been stuck is when he was resting on the frame or in mud so deep that there was just no way to get out under his own power. On the road they are a little rough but that is jsut the nature of the beast with a recap! About 70% of the tractor trailers on the road run caps for their drive tires and trailer tires. Most all run new for their steer tires for safty. That alone should speak pretty highly of them. That is why you see tehm big ol tread alagators on the road in the hot months. tug

i think i'll go for it.. thanks guys... when i get the money in a few weeks i'll let you know

yea recaps are better than eveyone thinks, they last longer and are bonded stronger than original new tires. all those tires that you see on the road from the trucks are new tires taht lost its tread, recaps almost never do that...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think recaps and retreads are two different types of remanufactured tires, or two different processes, anybody know about this?

I think most carcasses on the road are from running too little pressure in tires on the big trucks, which generates a lot of heat and causes the carcass to seperate. That's why the truckers beat on the tires so often, trying to prevent this. Hard to feel the low tire out of 18 while driving.

Heat is any tire's enemy (especially Firestone). I limit my onroad jaunts when aired down to about 10 miles, short distances to get air.

yeah... recaps are tires with a new tread layer applied to an old tire.... retreads are tires with extra treadwall thickness that can be regrooved

Hey Snitty, are you getting those local or by mail (website)? Just curious I' ve been wanting to try some out too (33's). I dont put a lot of miles on my YJ so why not. Let me know where your getting them from. THANKS.

'96 ZJ Front end rattle

Interesting info from that High-tec retreading site Bounty posted:
Retreads are also environmentally friendly. Tires are basically petrochemical products. It takes 22 gallons of oil to manufacture one new truck tire. Most of the oil is found in the casing, which is reused in the retreading process. As a result, it takes only 7 gallons of oil to produce a retread. It also keeps the casing from going to a landfill.

the company is local to me... i still dont' really know what the company is, or even exactly where.. but i'll eventually find out how they are... i guess i might be getting some tires cheap/free this week or soon... so i might hold on the recaps

youve got me intrested in these recaps, if you wouldnt mind posting the companys name address and all taht kind of stuff so that people can get a hold of them i know i would appreciate it and i think everyone else would to

water on passenger floor??

that process there seems quite durable... the testimonials, if true, are impressive

Back