Rear Bearing is shot.

capt806dfd

Im new to clasic jeep so I need some assistance. I have an 81 CJ 5 that has a shot rear bearing. I have been reading the repair manual and am unclear as to how to pull the axle to get to the bearing, do I have to get into the Diff. to pull it? Any and all help will be appreciated.

I'm assuming it's a wheel bearing that your talking about not a pinion bearing. If so then no, you don't have to get into the dif. You need to take the brake drum and brakes off and behind the axle flange there are 4 nuts that you have to remove. Pry the plate off that the nuts held on and you should be able to pull the axle out. If the axle still doesn't come out even with some prying, then find a socket or something to fit over the nut on the end of the axle so you won't damage the threads ( I'm assuming that it still has the 2 piece axles) And hit it hard with a big hammer. It should pop right out. If it doesn't, Hit it again.

I sure hope it's not an AMC 20
I take it that these are not good to have, how can I tell. Like I said earlier, I am new to classic jeeps, my first one was an 05 so I never really had to do much other than general maintnance. This 81 is a different story, new valve cover, now new brakes and new rear axle bearings-- but this one is so much cooler than the 05.

The cover to an AMC 20 rear end will be round like a ball.

Attachments

• AMC 20 Blow Up.jpg
    AMC 20 Blow Up.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,289
Last edited:
I sure hope it's not an AMC 20
With a little upgrading this axle can be a strong as a dana 44. Install a set of one piece aftermarket axles and weld the axle tubes to the center cetion. You'll never break it unless you get into some hardcore wheeling with monster tires. Now might be a good time to upgrade.

I reckon I should've qualified, an AMC 20 with slighly bent axle tube on one side like mine was. I was so slight that visual inspection failed to reveal this was the problem. Spent 5 months, 2 axles and 4 bearing sets before I gave up and went with a rebuilt D44 w/locker. Only after pulling the 20 could we discern the issue.

The AMC 20 is a pretty good axle when upgraded to one piece axle shafts. The tubes are a little weak and can bent under real hard use. The 82 and up models tend to bent a little easier because they are 3" wider, you should have the narrow one. I had a 20 with one piece axles and a locker running 33x15.50 super swamper SX tires for about 10 years and never had a issue with it, but Im not a throttle to the floor off roader though either

Back