RE6030 3.5" Super-Flex Kit on a 98XJ - Your thoughts

I don't think you will need a SYE with a 3.5 on a XJ, but because yours is a 98, they are more prone to vibration in the drive line, It would be a good inverstment.

Drivability, well, it is a jeep, not a ferrari, so it will be driveable, just don't go taking turns ate 40 mph!
I honestly don't know about the trac bar. is that for the rear or front?

You'll need a transfer case drop kit if you don't want to do the SYE/CV driveshaft conversion. [edit] removed trackbar info - I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable :wink:

Let me preface this by saying: I am NOT more knowledgable that Copper, but let me atleast empart some of the knowledge I've obtained on this topic as a result of recent research. Copper and I have been chatting about this in another thread.

Lift causes an offset in the axel, as a result of the angle from the frame mount to the axel mount of the trackbar. Greater height requires greater length, and pulls the axel toward the driver's side, causing problems in flex, wobble, vibes etc.

HOWEVER, you probably don't need one, as I've observed that the 3.5" RE kits don't include one, but the 4.5" do. Of course, every vehicle is different, and the quirks of your XJ may differ than others. I say, install the kit, and if you can visually see your axel justified to one side, then you get the adjustable trackbar.

ALSO, another observation while perusing the RE website. It looks as though the trackbar included with the 4.5" kit uses a heim joint anyway. Those are prone to wear. When you do upgrade, get a trackbar with a poly bushing end.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that the Rusty's heavy duty trackbar is less than the RE track bars with the heim joint. (the RE bar doesn't include a new frame mount too)

mingez said:
Let me preface this by saying: I am NOT more knowledgable that Copper

That's not saying much! lol Well you are, at least on this subject anyways!

Well I took the plung. I got the RE 3.5" with rear leafs installed today, the tires I have on it sure look stupid now, guess I need to get 31's.

Anyways, one thing I noticed. The steering wheel is rotated 90 deg to the right when going straight, obviously not good. Is this something that the installer should have corrected? A line in the RE install instructions says to 'adjust drag link to center steering wheel' I think the installer didn't do it.

There is a shudder when accelerating, is this slip yoke vibration? Or just accleration vibration? What's the fix if any?

Lots of creaking going on underneath now.

Damm 3.5" is a lot higher than I thought it would be, glad I didn't get the 4.5"

The steering wheel being turned is because after being lifted you need a front end alignment. Part of that is adjusting the drag link. Did you get the adjustable track bar? If not, that kit didn't come with any track bar relocation bracket, and you may want to get one or the other to recenter your axle. If you did get the bar, it should be adjusted during the alignment. If not, you might want to get a track bar relocation bracket for that size lift and install it prior to the alignment.

As to the shudder problem, can you feel it in the steering wheel? The alignment will probably correct this. It may, however, be drivline vibration like you said. If it is you should be able to correct it with angled shims under the springs on your rear axle, or a better option would be to go with a SYE and new driveshaft if you have the money to spend.

Yes, I think the shop that put it on should have known an alignment needed to be done, and it probably says so in the paperwork that came with the suspension.

I wouldn't worry about it until after the front end alignment.

No I did not get the adjustable track bar, the installer said I didn't need it. I looked underneath and he drilled another bolt hole on the passenger side mount, moving the whole trackbar towards the drivers side. The front tires look centered underneath the body.

He said I'd need an alignment, guess I'll have it done when I get the new tires.

Almost forgot, the shudder is not in the steering wheel. It's felt in the seat and loose interior panels vibrate.

Getting ready for an off-road trip

Deanh said:
he drilled another bolt hole on the passenger side mount, moving the whole trackbar towards the drivers side. The front tires look centered underneath the body.

good enough. Not good about the shudder though :(

Back