RC Truck

southtj

I know some of you are into RC cars and I've read some of the past threads but I'm not ready to spend a few hundred dollars on a RC car. I'm looking for something my 7 year old daughter and I can play with in the local field. I really don't want to spend more than $100 and I don't want to get a piece of junk. I used to have one that I think I got at radio shack that used 9.6v batteries and it was pretty fast and durable but it died a few years ago and the local "shack" didn't have much of a selection.

So here is what I'm looking for and I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. As I said, less than $100, capable of running in grass, durable and pretty quick. Jeep body would be great but not required.

Santa brought her a very inexpensive remote control airplane and it doesn't work very well at all so I promised her an RC car.

For that price range and the specs you are looking for, I would look on ebay for a used Traxxas Rustler or Traxxas Stampede. There are some very good deals on used kits that people buy, run a few times, then lose intrest and sell them dirt cheap. More often than not, you will get the whole kit, radio, electronics, charger, battery etc....

A good thing about the higher end kits, you are able to upgrade to hop up parts, motors, shocks as time and money allows or repair any damage yourself. The Tyco, Walmart or radio shack stuff is pretty much screwed once it messes up.

If you bought a new kit, it would probably run $200 to $300 with the electronics, charger and radio setup.

check out www.towerhobbies.com and nose around and read about diffrent trucks and then look on ebay for used ones in good condition. Hope this helps!

a good electric on ebay also would be good. I run a gas truck. I am building a 2nd and 3rd truck for my daughters. I have seen a few RC10GT's as complete kits (has truck and remotes) on ebay. You will need the glowplug warmer (some have em) and fuel

Last edited:

This is the one I got and for only about $100.
500Car-1.jpg

Here are more pictures and specs.

I've only run it once with what juice came in the battery but it runs in the grass great and is pretty quick. I think this will work nicely. We didn't have much luck with the $30 remote control airplane that santa brought my daughter so hopefully she will like this one. I'm still scratched up from the tree I had to climb to retrieve the plane. Not much control at all. And landing? Forget about it. Crashing more like it.

Anyone know how long to charge the 7.2v batteries with the standard charger?

Last edited:
This is the one I got and for only about $100.
500Car-1.jpg

Here are more pictures and specs.

I've only run it once with what juice came in the battery but it runs in the grass great and is pretty quick. I think this will work nicely. We didn't have much luck with the $30 remote control airplane that santa brought my daughter so hopefully she will like this one. I'm still scratched up from the tree I had to climb to retrieve the plane. Not much control at all. And landing? Forget about it. Crashing more like it.

Anyone know how long to charge the 7.2v batteries with the standard charger?

I'm not really sure on the standard wall chargers. I've always used the 15 minute quick chargers. I would think it should be listed in the manual somewheres, but if not, just plug in the battery and keep an eye on it. The pack SHOULD NOT get hot, slightly warm is ok, but not hot. I would say that charger is a 1 hour charger??

Nevermind. The second time out it broke a front steering knuckle and there are not replacement parts anywhere and super glue was no help. I'm having trouble contacting the company I bought it from on ebay. Their store contact info only has an email address and no response yet.

Back