Question about track bar and drop pitman arm

bghv65

I have a '99 Wrangler, has at least a 4" lift on it (bought it from a dealer, no clue on PO). The track bar was bad so I repaced it with a stock one, not realizing the lift might make a difference. I had no problem getting it on, it was about 1.2 inch off the hole so I barely turned the steering and it went on fine. I had it aligned and have driven it for over 10,000 miles with no problems. Just curious as to whether I should repalce it with an adjustable one? On the pitman arm, not sure if it has the drop or not but the steering arms aren't in paralell like I read is desireable. It doesn't really suffer from bumpsteer, although it handles different from stock with the 33X12.50's I have on it. I guess I could find someone with a similar lift and check theirs......

The 4 inch lift will make that stock track bar too short.

You can buy adjustable track bars (I really like JKS manufacturing products) or you can buy adjustable track bar brackets.

Not meant to be obnoxious - the following is meant for new jeepers...

The purpose of the track bar is to hold the axle centered (left to right) under your Jeep. Since the stock front track bar runs diagonally from the Driver side frame down to the passenger side on the axle, the lift will make that diagonal line longer. Putting a stock track bar on a lifted jeep will shift the axle to one side of the vehicle. A slightly longer trackbar, or a trackbar relocation bracket will correct this and pull the axle back into the center position.

Hey, no problem I didn't take it as obnoxious, on the contrary, I appreciate the advice since I am new to Jeeps! I read your exact words in an article when I researched it and it makes a lot of sense I just didn't think about it when I replaced it.

Thanks for the input!

Take a look at the axle end of the front track bar and determine if it has an aftermarket bracket on it to relocate the track bar. Doesn't sound like it since it was 1.2" off during installation. Post a pic of the lower attachment if you have any doubt. I would highly recommend an adjustable track bar.

You don't need a drop pitman arm at 4" of lift, just ensure the front trackbar and the steering draglink are relatively parallel.

Bounty Hunter,

I made a typo on the 1.2, I meant 1/2 so I went back and edited my post. It appears the track bar bracket is stock. I took a picture of it and also the steering setup. tell me what you think.

On another note, I measured my height from ground to bottom lip of the front frnder and it's 37-1/2 inches. I also measured from ground up to the edge of the Jeep just under the door and it measures 23 inches. How does this compare to a stock Wrangler if anyone knows? I do have 33" tires on it and no body lift, just suspension lift.

Bounty Hunter, yo appear to be the resident guru on here. I just want to say, I appreciate your help and I'm sure others do as well. Thanks for taking time to help us rookies out! I'd like to send you a gift card for a cold one!

Attachments

• 100_3798.JPG
    100_3798.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5,046
  • 100_3797.JPG
    100_3797.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,965
  • 100_3796.JPG
    100_3796.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 695
Thanks for the kind words, I enjoy helping others in the jeep community.

Looks like everything is good but I'd install an adjustable front track bar if the front axle is not centered. Eyeball each front tire from the front of the jeep, in relation to the flare above it.

Your trackbar and draglink appear parallel so no drop pitman arm is needed.

I have a track bar question.

front bar pivots off the driver's side, rear pivots off the pass side.

that guarantees the axles are off track to each other much of the time and amplified when stressed.

I might buy platform-ish stability, but at what cost?
cornering at speed, seems to me a bit of body roll is preferable to guaranteed track askew.

Yes.

The track bars are close enough to horizontal that the axles are not off track to each other most of the time.

Back