Project EZ Repair! NOT

Tug-n-pull

Opened a can of worms today I needed to get a stereo repair made and needed to pull it to do so. Now my whole dash is apart in a box. Had a couple of light bulbs out so I thought I will just fix them. Clear Plastic over the gauge cluster was foggy so I will polish that. Floor lights under the dash were in need of a bulbs, turned out to be a wire broken. I have found a couple of switches and stuff from a previous owner and can't find what they are for. There is a whole alternate world under them dash panels. I hope to get more done tomorow! I may even put speakers back in the original hard to reach areas. Got rid of the Ashtray. Put in a multiple electric outlet in the ashtrays place. Took out the gauge cluster and can't find any problems there but oil presure and fule gauge still not working. So if you have never and dont have to stay out of the dash area! Tug :-x [addsig]

Aw comon Tug...look at the bright side it won't be a different world next time!!![addsig]

I feel your pain Tug....what some people do with electrical wiring is insane. buying someone elses jeep is always an adventure[addsig]

I hate car wiring! :-x I have to tackle the dash one of these days. My gauge lights are out, and at night I'd like to see if I'm about to run out of gas. :-D What's cool, is that it looks like I can just take out the section that's just the gauges. I hope that's true![addsig]

I found Jimmy Hoffa! Man a box of useless wireing and goofyness has came out of this. Now I am putting in Terminal Blocks and fuses for all of my after market add ons. Moved the CB to a better placement, Got me some of them aircraft safty switches for the KCs and other big amp items on the Jeep. I put in a blue prostitute light under the dash, (a low voltage light to light up the floor board) new Interior dome light mounted on the bottom of my roll bar. Dude I am in to this thing! New Switch Bank under the dash. Tug[addsig]

Yeah, electrical problems can be a nightmare, but if you sort it out the first time and don't half-a$$ it back together it should work fine. Its amazing what you find behind those dash panels. I found about a half-dozen wires that were either not hooked up to something or were disconnected for some reason other than made sense. Its not hard to make something look like a mess of wires when doing electrical stuff.[addsig]

And if you can, buy some split wire loom! It's that black plastic conduit looking stuff. It's great for making wiring look neat.[addsig]

Tonight I found and removed about 60 feet of wire, an old alarm system that I did not know was on the jeep. All the old stereo wiring from at least a couple of previous stereo, and rewired everything not orginal to the jeep, installed my cobra external CB speaker over head, Things are getting better. I did use the wire chase or loom stuff and it looks good. I found several vacuume hoses off and I hope they are where they go now. removed several busted plastic items under the hood and cleaned up my fire wall a bit. This is a real eye opener for me. See up untill recently I have been a take to the shop guy. Thanks for the support guys tug[addsig]

Back