Problems with my new wrangler

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
So, I've noticed some pretty goof stuff from my new 2005 Wrangler SE. The previous owner said that he had new ceramic brake pads installed right before he sold it. Here's what I've noticed

1. The jeep has a sqeek when going down the road that increases or decreases with speed, as it sqeeks with each revolution of the tire. Pressing the brakes causes the squeek to stop instantly

2. The pedal normally feels fine when braking, but occasionally, when I brake, the steering wheel will shake and pull left to right pretty violently. Letting off brake stops the shaking.

3. the brake pads look to be really new, no visual obstructions. Haven't checked the back drums.

So what do you guys think? warped rotors

Last edited:

My guess ....changed the pads.. but not the rotors?

Last edited:
ceramic's suck. There to hard and actually wear the rotor more. I switched back to semi's and mine seem to stop better also.

Since the pads are so new (put on in August), I think I'm going to take everything off, and have the rotors turned at advanced auto, then put it all back together and see how it goes.

dont forget to scuff the faces of the pads up with a wire brush and clean them before putting them on. I have gone through this before Terry and have taken the time to rebuild the caliper itself, this garrentees that its clean and working the best it can also it forces me to bleed the brakes as well.

Sounds like you need the rotors turned, the PO likely skipped that important step in brake service.

If your squeek continues, remove the front driveshaft to see if it changes or goes away.

I've never had a rotor turned myself - I've always thought it was a way of cheaping out, instead of buying a new rotor. Is that a normal part of the new brake pad process?

I've never had a rotor turned myself - I've always thought it was a way of cheaping out, instead of buying a new rotor. Is that a normal part of the new brake pad process?

Its considered best if you replace the pads at the same time your have the rotors turned since they break-in/wear parallel to each other.

It's a normal and industry accepted practice. It makes the rotor true and gives a new surface to break-in with the new pads.

Ceramic pads are great in my opinion. I put a set on my White YJ years ago and haven't bought any other kind since. I put a ton of miles on the XJ with ceramic pads and no issue with the rotors wearing.

They don't get as hot, they don't fade as quickly, they don't cause nasty rust colored brake dust on the wheels... I love them and that's all I buy now.

I use ceramic. Work well for me, and that was stock on my 00 XJ. There's nothing wrong with turning the rotors. There is a minimum rotor thickness specified for each vehicle. Any reputable brake shop and the Jeep dealer will turn a set of rotors rather than put a new set on if the thickness is still there.

So, over the weekend I did some work on this, and think that I've fixed it.

I ended up taking the calipers and rotors off. I scuffed up the pads with a wire bruch, and cleaned off the backs well. The local shops were all closed, so I was unable to get the rotors turned, so I decided to put it all back together. I used quite a bit of disc brake quiet, and once it was all back together, all my problems stopped. I'm assuming that the pads just weren't seated correctly.

I'm still getting the ocassional little squeak when either pressing or releasing the brakes, but it's so small that it feels pretty normal.

well, the problem is back with a vengence! It happens between 40 and 50 mph, and only when braking. I'm off tonight to get some new rotors and pads (advanced has rotors for only 45 each) - hopefully that will fix the problem. If not, I'll rotate the tires (fronts on the back), and get an alignment.

Is there any chance the squealer that lets you know the pad is almost worn out, is bent and touching the rotor? If it's got one, it will be a thin piece of metal riveted to the steel backing plate then bent around toward the pad surface. There is usually one squealer per pair if they have them at all.
When you get the front end off the ground, spin the tire and see if you can replicate the squeal or feel any drag. Also shake the tire, pulling outward to see if there is any play in the wheel bearing.
Did anything look out of order with the caliper? One might be sticking. You will have to compress them with a c-clamp when you put new rotors on. Maybe that will solve it.
You can normally feel a warped rotor through the brake pedal with a pulsing sensation.

My original problem started with just a squeek, but moved on to become a horrible shaking when I'd brake at anything over 45mph. It could have been alot of things, maybe a warped rotor, or a brake pad that wouldn't seat or something, but it felt alot like a death wobble.

I replaced the rotors ($45 each) and the pads ($50 for the set). Everything seems great now, it breaks better (ok, that may just be in my mind) and has no sqeeks. I got up to 55 and hit the brakes a couple of times, and there doesn't seem to be any shaking.

I'm pretty happy, and for $150 I'd rather replace the old parts instead of reuse what I had.

Back