Power Steering gear expierence

jdmuncy

Not really askin for assistance just thought I would share my extreme satisfaction in my own abilities. It all started the day I brought my new love home. The steering gear had an annoying slight drip comin from the pitman arm. I decided that I could replace the seals and she would be good as new. Well that proved to be a daunting task as the damn thing took me over 4 hours, 4 busted knuckles and a lead pipe breaker bar to the face . Not to mention a broken pitman arm puller and a bruised ego. I was like the worst has got to be behind me. Ordered a seal kit from Morris 4x4. I got this!!!! Oh no I put the seals in backwards and started her up. It would have been quicker to just pour the power steering fluid on the floor in my garage anywho decided screw it I will just go to a junk yard. My dad " the hydraulic guru" said son lets give this another attempt. I reluctantly agreed and went to autozone and ordered another seal kit which was cheaper and only took a day to get vice a week. Then I went to documenting takin pictures of a power steering gear box off my yj like it was posing for the latest hooters calendar and emailed him the pics in Arkansas ( I am in Georgia). The master hydraulic mechanic he is thoroughly looked through my images and provided "tech support" after putting the steering gear back in I started it up thinking man I hope I didn't waste more money. To my amazement she worked beautifully and with no leaks on the first try. I successfully rebuilt the steering gear and am high on my achievement that I can learn a thing or two about workin on my own jeep. Makes me appreciate my father as well as my jeep for the experience. I will be building axles and swapping engines in no time. I love this hobby. Just thought I would share my thoughts and experience with you all.

thats great man!!! i would be anxious working on it too because i know whats in the gearboxes at work and how i don;t have the right tools for those. they are from apaches, chinooks, blackhawks, kiowas, hueys, and super cobras though

Back