PCV Valve

mercab18

This is actually a little embarrassing because I know how easy it should be to replace a PCV valve in a car, but here goes.

I recently bought a 97 Wrangler Sport (6 cyl 4.0 liter). Whenever I change the oil in a car of mine, I normally change the PCV valve as well, so I pulled it out and went to Advanced Auto Parts to buy a new one. They, along with NAPA, Autozone, and all of the websites I've looked at, don't carry PCV Valves for a 97 Wrangler. They say it doesn't exist. Funny thing is, I took it out and I'm looking at it right this second.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

They are correct, there is no PCV valve. There is a CCV elbow that is just an orifice; no valve action. Just keep the orifice unblocked. I'd recommend not pulling it out every oil change either. They are in there very tight and break easily and by the way, replacements are dealer-only.

^^ He's right, CCV doesn't require any maintenance besides watching for cracked/broken/dry rotted lines, and clearing any clogged lines if it puts oil into the air filter.

I cleaned my CCV elbow ('93 YJ, 4.0L) shortly after I bought the Jeep b/c I noticed a LOT of oil in the air filter. I took a 10-penny nail and carefully scraped away the caked-on oil and residue out of the interior of the CCV elbow... I also used engine cleaner/de-greaser. At the same cleaning time I took off the valve cover, scraped off the carbon deposits, replaced the valve cover gasket, and changed out the air filter. After letting the CCV elbow dry and replacing a broken plastic air line w/ a rubber hose, it works fine. No more oil blow-by into my air filter :)

Back