No hi gear but lo works great...

azjpiper151

Coulple of days ago I had a clunck as I was taking off and then shortly after that hi both 2 and 4 would not lock up. I am able to put it in 4 lo and it works great (how I got home).

I disconnected the linkage and I am able to switch thru 2H, 4H, N, and 4L but in 2 or 4 H it grinds and does not lock up.:???::???::???:

Thank you!

Jason

Drain and inspect the fluid, paying special attention to any metal or plastic that comes out.

It's not too difficult to take the transfer case apart while it's in the jeep to inspect the internals, I could talk you through it.

Take it apart while in the jeep?? PLEASE Let me know how that goes!! I almost took it out today. It may just be easier to take it out.

You need a good pair of lockring pliers, kinda like snapring pliers but they have knurled duckbill type tips to spread the lockrings open.

Simply remove the rear driveshaft and speedometer sensor, remove the tailhousing seal, remove the lockring, remove the tailhousing, and unbolt the rear case half. You can then inspect everything in the transfer case while the front half remains attached to the transmission.

You need a good pair of lockring pliers, kinda like snapring pliers but they have knurled duckbill type tips to spread the lockrings open.

Pay GOOD attention to the GOOD PAIR OF LOCK RING PLIERS part... When I did my SYE, it was taking me forever to do with the set I had on hand, then I got tired of it, went to Sears (there's one a couple of blocks from me), bought a new one like it was recommended, and did the job in a few minutes (which was kind of frustrating, since I had already spent HOURS trying to get that ring!).

Back