New Tires, tread depth and inflation

Turbogus

Hi gang, not on "Balck Betty" my '78 CJ 5, just went to Costco and got a pair of tires to replace the oldest most worn pair of tires on "Easy Bake" my '81 Black panel E 150.
Being a former commercial driver here in Oregon (where we kiss where the sun don't shine) I recall the minimum tread depth up front as 4/32" and the rear as 2/32". The rears were getting down to 2/32" so it was time to replace 'em.
I noticed that the guy in the tire shack was simply putting the new tires on the rear I asked for them to be put up front as I thought more wear occurs on front tires so I wanted the new ones up there. He replied that it is required by the Oregon State police that all new tires go on the rear. I also remarked that I'd like more than 34 lbs of pressue in the tires and he said that'd void the warranty.....
Even the OSP (Oregon State Police) website mentions;
A properly inflated tire will be within 1 to 2 pounds + or - of the tire manufacturers recommended max psi. This is printed on the sidewall of your tire. Proper inflation will give the maximum tire life and deliver the maximum handling characteristics engineered into the tire.

When I was settling up at the counter I overheard the manager mention to another customer "We'll put the new tires up front"

What is goin' on with this?
confused-1.gif

Costco is pretty rigid on tires. They will usually only mount tires that show up on THEIR computer for the vehicle, even if the door tag shows something else. So if you ordered special factory tire and rims with your vehicle, the Costco computer might not show that option and if it doesnMt, they won't mount the tires and you' ll have trouble getting their web site to even let you buy them.

They also ignore the inflation pressure recommendations on the door sticker, despite what the vehicle make recommends.

Costco has gotten to be too big of a headache for buying tires, so I now shop elsewhere and most places will match costco price if you ask.

I don't know if you have a discount tire or a big o near you, but they are generally the better places to go. I had a hick up at discount, but they fixed it and will do what they can to have your business. I brought in a really old tire i just needed mounted for a while and they mounted it and covered it under their warranty. They will also beat anyone else's prices.

Insofar as inflation I think the thing to do is simply monitor the wear pattern in the grooves with my tread depth gauge as I've been doing and see if the outer edges are wearing faster than the center.

With regard to mounting front or rear I'm wonder how ODOT arrived at their 4/32 min. depth on front and 2/32 on rear? This led me to believe "putting the best foot forward" idiom. Perhaps this IS wrong. I know back when I was a kid the new tires always went on the back 'cause it was so cool to do burnouts on the street.
rolleyes-1.gif
but nowadays I'm concerned with safety and economy.
settings-1.gif

Back