new motor

wranglerman

What are my options for a transmission?

i own a 1989 wrangler with the 4.2L motor. i am thinking about putting a 350 small block in it. i came across a very good deal on a 350 with a trassmission. i would like to hear some of the cons of doing this as well as any advice for making the switch from anyone that has done this before. thanks.

deq-cooling-mounts-wiring-transmission/transfercase-exhuast-then to much power and axles and probably stuff i forgot. But hey it would sound bad ass. :)

RE: 4" rusty

I swapped a 350 into my old '88 YJ, using an adapter bellhousing to the stock 5spd. I didn't have any problems with the rest of the drivetrain but I didn't beat on it either.

RE: Father

Your motor/transmission combo that you got, does that include a transfercase as well?

You're going to have a lot to adapt, but I won't really say that it would be a difficult job. There is plenty of room to do stuff in the engine bay. If you remove the front and the fenders, the job should go smoothly.

got an exhaust system on today...

it does not include a transfer case. was would be a ball park figure for the transfer case. another thing i would like to know is where to find the adaptors for everything. i have a company or to that i have looked at already but would like a couple more for price comparison.

RE: Re: MPG?

i want to make sure that i do not get half ass stuff todo the conversion. has anyone delt with navak-adapt.com or adavanceadapters.com and know that they sell quality things.

They are the two best places to go to. Order a catalog and read the article on v8 swap into a wrangler. You will see all the stuff you will need and how much it will end up costing in the long run. Have you considered a 4.oL swap instead? Much cheaper and you will be quite suprised with the performance over the 4.2.

RE: old jeep

yjdave said:
Have you considered a 4.oL swap instead? Much cheaper and you will be quite suprised with the performance over the 4.2.

With both wearing a HO head, I'm not sure I'd bet on the 4.0 outdoing the 4.2, but we'll save that debate for another time. :wink:

What about building a stroker 6 cylinder? You can go all the way up to 4.7 liters without breaking the bank, and guys are going all the way up to 5 liters with that engine(big $$).

Back