New Member - Just getting started... Help!

H2oSki2Live

Well I found this site when browsing around for some info on Jeeps. Always wanted one, wife won't let me get another crotch rocket (have 3 kids) and the boat that I "did have" was sold 2 years ago:cry: but hey, with gas prices, perhaps not such a bad thing. So now I find myself weighing buying a jeep.

Starting from ground zero and have found in the past that these types of forums are a wealth of knowledge before making a purchase. Love to hear any advice from you 'wise ones'.

Here's a quickie on my situation...

Live in Greenville, SC (near the mountains, excellent climate, no snow). Bit handy mechanically but not a gear head (yet?). Considering something that can serve as a commuter on sunny days (10-20 miles round trip) and something fun to work on during the weekend and also hit some basic trails. Not looking for a project so I want something that is running. Couple neighbor friends also have Jeeps, chatted a bit, but not in depth yet as just decided this week to really learn more.

That said, what would be some basic advice as to what model Jeep to consider (CJ, YJ, TJ etc)? Can I realistically find something solid out there for $5-8,000? What kind of mileage... does mileage even matter? I've also seen a ton of 4 Cylinders... does that matter or is a 6 Cylinder a smarter investment?

Just some basic questions, sure you've heard them often. If there is a good resource on the forum to read up on this as well, by all means steer me there.

Thanks for the advice!

If you plan on only driving this Jeep around town, to work, and weekend offroading the 4cyl. is an alright engine. It has plenty of torque offroad but only 80-110 HP with not that great of gas mileage. It's basically a tractor engine, a long stroke w/low power. It also has a weak manual transmission that is known for causing troubles. However, if you plan on driving on the freeway at all and want an all around descent engine the 6 cyl. is the way to go. It has the same characteristics of the 4cyl. with the added HP.

As far as what model/year Jeep to get, it is entirely up to you and your budget. The CJ is an awesome rig with plenty of nastalgic Jeep legend to it. However, it doesn't have the excellent technology advancements that you see in newer Jeeps. i.e. wider frame/better braking power/smoother ride (for a jeep)/fuel injection. The TJ has all of the technology advancements that are up to date and coil spring suspension that is awesome on and off-road. However, the earlier TJ models, 1997-2000, had a lot of trouble with wiring and anything newer than that will probably exceed $5-8k. I would recommend getting a 91-95 Jeep YJ. They offer a lot of Jeep performance in any environment and can usually handle whatever terrain is thrown at them. A descent YJ of this year runs around $5-8k and you might even have room to find one that has some extras such as a winch, bigger tires, and a hard top.

Keep hunting and don't make a spontaneous buy just because the price is low. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a rig that meets your needs.

I'll second what jaymz77 said about the YJ. I bought mine 2 years ago for around $8000 with 54,000 miles on it. I got lucky, though. Mine had been owned by a lady lawyer in Wichita that admitted she only drove it in fair weather and kept it garaged the rest of the time. It had never even seen rain before I bought it! Absolutely no rust, do door dings, no scrapes or scratches. Perfect. It's a 4-banger, but in Central Kansas that's not an issue, as the only "hills" here are overpasses. I've got 31x10 tires and can still use 5th gear almost all the time (unlike a lot of people in less, ummm...pancake-like areas of the US). If I drive it nice I can get up to 25 mpg after a few fuel-saving mods, but generally average 20-22 mpg. I can cruise it at 75 mph on the highway just as long as there isn't a headwind over about 15 mph, but I generally just keep it on back roads to save fuel. It's awesome offroad, still basically stock (other than tires), and will go where I want to go. It's got 97,000 miles on it now, and all I've done is replace the starter and the soft top (got ripped off in a 40mph cross wind when I met a semi....but that was only due to the thread getting dry rot). Most mods are relatively cheap, and I'm no mechanic by any means, but I've been able to do quite a bit to the YJ.

Welcome to Jeepz, I know you'll like it here. This has got to be the greatest bunch of folks on the net, plenty of knowledge to go around, and friendly, too. Just watch out for Mingez, he'll try to talk you into buying a Surrey.......

Jaymz77 and Sparky... Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply. I can see this forum has a wealth of information, appreciate you sharing yours.

Jaymz77, from what you have said, sounds like the 91-95 YJ is what I will be looking for then. I know that I want something that does have some torque/HP as it is quite mountainous around where I live. I suppose finding a 6-cylinder that is in good shape, decent mileage and all is going to be the challenge. I'm not in a hurry though. I spent over a year finding the right boat when I bought mine, and it was well worth the wait.

In regards to mileage... how much does that factor in compared to what a person would normally consider if they were looking at a car. 100k or 150k on a jeep compared to say the same on like a Honda. Are the jeeps easy enough to work on that the mileage does not matter so much if the condition is great?

Also, where would you suggest looking for jeeps for sale? I'm thinking about what websites might list jeeps. I'll be checking in my local paper and such as well.

Thanks again. Looking forward to learning more and joining the community.

CK

I just flipped through a Truck Trader I had laying around and there were several 99 era 6 cyl TJ's with lift kits and tires for $8k. Some were hard top models, one had a winch and most of them had aftermarket wheels and body armor (nerf bars, bumpers, aluminum corners, etc). The TJ comes with a coil spring suspension which is a little more capable out of the box than a leaf sprung Jeep. TJ's can be expensive to lift, so I would look for one that has already been done and save some $$$. I personally would opt for the automatic model.

Last edited:
redrooster said:
I just flipped through a Truck Trader I had laying around and there were several 99 era 6 cyl TJ's with lift kits and tires for $8k. Some were hard top models, one had a winch and most of them had aftermarket wheels and body armor (nerf bars, bumpers, aluminum corners, etc). The TJ comes with a coil spring suspension which is a little more capable out of the box than a leaf sprung Jeep. TJ's can be expensive to lift, so I would look for one that has already been done and save some $$$. I personally would opt for the automatic model.

Pardon my naiveity... is the "Truck Trader" available online as well? I plan on picking up a couple classifieds this weekend. I definately want the jeep lifted, would be nice if it is already done. If I can go newer than '95 I would consider it if it was the right set up.

I'm also assuming that color of a jeep shouldn't matter so much as the quality of the body, condition, etc. Easy to get a paint job.

One other thing, you suggested getting an automatic but I was really thinking of manual. What's your reason for choosing the auto? I suppose for me, I haven't had a manual in years but grew up on them. Since I don't have a bad commute, would consider it fun to drive, as well as give me a bit more control when I do get to take it on the trails.

Lots to learn!!!!

welcome to jeepz.com!

don't worry about mileage, my '94 cherokee has 225k miles and still runs strong - just make sure you buy something that wasn't abused. sounds like you're well on your way to finding something you like.

The 5-speed manual transmission is my weapon of choice when it comes to Jeeps. However, it is completly up to you. The 5-speed behind the 6 cyl. is known as the ax-15 and has been used in Jeeps with relatively no trouble since the early era wranglers. The 4 cyl. manual is known as the ax-5 and is a light duty transmission with a terrible reputation. Stay clear of the ax-5,I know from experience that it is no good.:evil:
As far as automatics go, I have no idea. Someone else will have to give you the specs on those.

For regular trail duty, it doesn't matter to me whether it is an auto or manual. For severe crawling a lot of people have gone to autos because you have a little more control in hairy situations.
As far as shopping for a vehicle, I said the automatic because I think it is the strongest transmission they offered in the YJ's and TJ's. But then again, if you are looking at a high mileage Jeep, the manual may be less of a gamble. You can get some longevity out of the 6 cylinder engine, but I don't know what the average amount of mileage the auto gets before having to be rebuilt. I suppose it depends on how the previous owner treated it. I never really hear of any blatant problems with them though.

Oh yeah, the Truck Trader is a weekly publication put out at convenience stores on Thursdays. I'm pretty sure they are nationwide, so you should be able to get one for SC.

Depending on the area, Jeeps can be either in the Truck Trader or in the Auto Trader.

Thanks for all the info. Hard to concentrate at work while dwelling on this!!!

I have trended towards buying the bigger engines in my vehicles and never been upset by that. Sure, I may pay a bit more in gas, lose a few MPG's but I feel that I also have a longer engine life and fewer mechanical issues. That's been my experience so far.

That said, think I'm going to focus my search on a jeep with a 6-cylinder, or as Jaymz77 put it, an "ax-15".

Hey hey, I'm learning some of the lingo!

Here's some lingo on my Jeep:
78 CJ, 5.3, TH400, Atlas 3.8, 4.56 60 and 14 bolt on 42's.
When you can decipher that, you have become a full on Jeep junkie.

Hope I didn't confuse you, an AX-15 is the transmission used behind the 6 cyl. Anyway, glad to hear your going with a 6 cyl. When I first bought my Jeep it had the 4 cyl. It was way to under powered for what I needed and basically cost more in gas just because the engine had to work to hard to drive in my kind of terrain(Portland). I just finished swapping a chevy V6 in place of the tired old 4 cyl.
Good job picking up on the lingo, sometimes it's the only way to understand what us Jeep guys are saying.:purple:

Saurian Sez:

Are you looking for Wrangler, or Cherokee-like Jeep? I've got a 2000 Cherokee, 6 cylinder engine, automatic... The inline-six is a very easy engine to work on, and is a workhorse that will last practically forever, if you keep up with it's maintanance. The automatic transmissions in them, the AW4, is really very difficult to kill, not saying impossible, but there are many many occaisions where my Jeep should have been grounded forever, and it started and ran just fine.

More lingo... SWB. Short wheel base. Commonly called: wrangler, though the older ones were not called this.

LWB. Long wheel base. Cherokee, Grand Cherokee.

The Basic Js...

CJ 5/7/8, and so on... Early "wrangler", round headlights. The number indicates the length of the body; a 5 is shorter than a 7...
YJ. Wrangler, first one to be actually called "wrangler". Square headlights.
TJ. Newer Wrangler. Round headlights.
LJ. Wrangler Unlimited. Longer wheelbase.
TK. New wrangler, 4 door model.

SJ. Unofficial designation for olde-schoole Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer.
MJ. Comanche Pickup Truck.
XJ. Cherokee.
XK. Commander.
ZJ. Grand Cherokee, until 1997.
WJ. Grand Cherokee until 2005.
WK. New Grand Cherokee.

Welcome to Jeepz :)

I think I follow you on the transmission there, well now I do.

Getting the lingo to me is half the fun. Redrooster... all I can pick up so far on your set up is that you have a 1978 model CJ Jeep, 5.3L engine?, TH400... is that your transmission (thinking it's something like what I keep seeing also referred to as "Dana" but not the same thing?) Atlas 3.8 no clue, 4.56 60 ... something to do with the gear ratio, and the 14 bolt on 42's I may be totally off but something to do with your rims and tires you have mounted?

Saurian... sweet info on the lingo there. That actually helps on the models based upon what I've been looking at in the classifieds so far.

I am interested in a wrangler vs. a Cherokee like jeep. I'm wanting something smaller to just get around in on nice days, top off, as well as easy to work on. The straight-6 type engines I've done some stuff on before in an old Chevy Truck I used to have. Are any of the jeeps V-6 at all, or have they stuck to straight-sixes?

At some point in the mid-late 70's Jeep tried a V-6 in the CJ's. Don't even go there, it is about as useless as the ax-5.

redrooster said:
Here's some lingo on my Jeep:
78 CJ, 5.3, TH400, Atlas 3.8, 4.56 60 and 14 bolt on 42's.
When you can decipher that, you have become a full on Jeep junkie.

Not bad for a first timer.
Translation:
1978 Jeep CJ7
5.3 Litre Engine (if you really know your stuff, it's a Chevy)
TH400 is a GM TurboHydramatic 400 automatic transmission
Atlas 3.8 Aftermarket transfer case with all the Bling
4.56 refers to axle gear ratios
60 refers to the front axle being a Dana 60 one ton rated
14 refers to the GM Corporate 14 bolt rear axle, also ton rated
42's as in 42" refers to the size of the tires

Back