My passenger door is stuck!

Engir

I was replacing the door locks on my 87 XJ after installing the lock in the passenger side door I used the key and turned the lock both ways everything seemed fine and closed to door. Now it will not open from the outside or inside, I unhooked the rod to the lock and moved all the rods back and forth and it will not open has anyone had this happen, does anyone know a way to get the door open?

is it just really stuck? like if you pull the rod that releases the latch normally and push hard, it won't pop open?

otherwise, its access the inside and start removing stuff

As I said I tried opening from the inside and outside I removed the rod at the lock thinking it caused the door to jam it and pulled on the rods and it will not open

you are going to have to reach in towards the latch assembly and flip the arm to open the teeth that clamp the bar on the frame side of door jamb.

sometimes the seatbelt gets in between the door and jamb and jams the latch assembly and you have to almost kick the door to get it to open, is why i was wondering how hard you were pushing the door to open it when stuck. i was thinking maybe something got in when you closed the door and you maybe didn't notice it?

you are going to have to reach in towards the latch assembly and flip the arm to open the teeth that clamp the bar on the frame side of door jamb.

sometimes the seatbelt gets in between the door and jamb and jams the latch assembly and you have to almost kick the door to get it to open, is why i was wondering how hard you were pushing the door to open it when stuck. i was thinking maybe something got in when you closed the door and you maybe didn't notice it?
I have gone in throught the drivers door and worked the lock and latch from the inside also went as far as to kick the door from inside and it will not move. I understand what you are saying about 'opening the teeth' but have no idea were this arm is that you speak of?

I have an update a friend came over this morning and we got the door open the lock works inside and out the rods move to open the door but the latch at the back of the door the part that grabs the sticker is stuck it will not move and I have no idea it was find before I put the lock in and all of sudden it will not open?

Also does anyone know what size Torks I need to remove the said latch at the back of the door?

no, not without taking a torx kit out and trying them out.

i am glad yall got it opened. hopefully you can just soak the heck out of it wiht cleaner and penetrating oil and it will start working again

no, not without taking a torx kit out and trying them out.

i am glad yall got it opened. hopefully you can just soak the heck out of it wiht cleaner and penetrating oil and it will start working again
I have soaked it inside the door and out with cleaner and penetrating oil it has done nothing, it is locked up tight, I have no idea what is going on all I did was replace the key lock and now it will not move it showed no sign of an issue before this?

At this point I am thinking I need to remove the latch and look it over but I need to know what size Torx works on this bolt?

1721158816659.jpeg

Hi,

It sounds like you've tried a few troubleshooting steps already. If the door won't budge even after manipulating the latch from inside, it might be worth checking if there's any obstruction around the door or latch mechanism that could be causing the issue.

Jack ;)

Hi,

It sounds like you've tried a few troubleshooting steps already. If the door won't budge even after manipulating the latch from inside, it might be worth checking if there's any obstruction around the door or latch mechanism that could be causing the issue.

Jack ;)
I got the door open with some help from a friend but when we got it open and was looking at it the latch went into full close and is stuck. We have tried many things soaked it cleaning and penetrating oil nothing works none of the rods are binding so I am getting a T30 to remove the latch.

What we think happened at this point is when I removed the inside levers for the door and lock and moved it forward to get the hooks at the back of the small panel out and then remove the rods as part of removing panel to install a new lock that moving these things pulling on them something snapped or jammed in the latch, it is original equipment from 87 so I am going to remove it and see what I find.

Thanks

I went out this morning and re-installed the latch connected everything and tested it, everything worked I closed the door and now it will not open again, it is stuck I am at a loss to explain this?

something is broken in it. you will just have to replace the latch assembly, or find out which part in it needs replacing

So I got it fixed this is for anyone in the future with an issue like this. In the image below you see a plug behind that is an allen wrench adjustment for the outer door handle. I hooked up the rod and it moves but the door latch does not function so I loosened the Allen and pushed the outer handle I think 3 times and the latch opened, I did it one additional time the latch opened and I tightened to Allen down and the door works perfectly.

1721844010921.jpeg

Nice. And good on the fix update. Future people wont be stuck trying to fix

Back