My Modified Jeep

cewtwo

OK. Got the '93 Jeep in late June, 2003. I asked (on this message board) what should be done to it it to make it a great back-country machine. Buy, did I get answers and suggestions!

This Jeep got very little back country experience prior to our purchasing it. We did that on purpose. Wanted a back-country, off-road, trail-riding neophyte!

Since purchasing it, we put a BDS 3 1/2" Lift kit on it. 33" BFG TA/KOS. Quick disconnect sway bar kit. Oasis Trailheads to air down quickly (I do believe in these!) An under the hood air compressor with one small external port (stops people from asking us if we needed help as the hood was open when we aired up). FIPK air filter - Funnel ram intake device. A Jeep bugscreen. Sorrel trail boots (a must). An Optimizer battery. A Magnum 9K Winch with a Tread Lightly kit. Bestop Console. Bestop supertop (for summer in Colorado). A Catalytic Converter-to back exhaust system. And a new radio - It has XM radio - XM radio is totally cool and available where ever the Jeep is.

What have the rest of you done to your rides?

Wow it seems you have a bad taste for the jeepz board but I can not seem to remember your ever posting here. I see the posts count of 10 but when I do a search I come up with a blank. If you were slighted in any way I personaly say "Sorry dude" and here is a big jeep wave to you.

I read most all post that ever come up and try to answer all that are un answered most of all to all new members. Again sorry and hope you have a great time in that newly built monster jeep you got there. tug

I went back to see If I could find your old post and the log only covers unanswered post thru July of 2003. Like I said I usualy read all the post and at least try to be of some help from time to time or at least run my mouth a bit. Must have gotten eaten in a glitch or something. I will keep on trying to find the lost post.

To answer your post above! Man this sucks I sold my CJ after basicly getting it ready to start rebuilding. It was a 79 and I did the motorcraft carb replacement, new exaust, wheel bearing and axel rebuilds, breaks, camo paint, exaust manifold out the rear, minor rewireing and other pieces and parts like hoses, wires, tune up, ect....

Had it running like a top and the ol t-18 transmission was a dream. Plans to lift and build had to go due to a bad finical down turn, As did the old jeep. That is what happens in life! Looking seriously now for a next jeep project.

I hope you stick around so I will be able to pick your brain and see what I can learn from your recent experences when I do find me a replacement jeep. tug

I posted way back in August... No one slammed me then or now... I was wondering why it showed no posts, though.

Actually, when everyone started to suggest first modificiations, I was overwhelmed, but through discussions I built a pretty good idea of what (and how) to build the Jeep I pictured in my mind's eye... I used those ideas to modify my Jeep.

Then I lost my password and have been unable to log in until I tried this computer at work!

Tug-n-pull said:
Wow it seems you have a bad taste for the jeepz board

Hmmm... I didn't catch that from his post. :?

-Nick :!:

dont forget to remove the rear track bar, make the front one disconnectable, get revolver shackles and/or z boxes with extended shock hoops and brakelines, itll be a bad ass far flexin rig, lockrights also!

Lets see, bought mine May of 2003. 82 CJ7 258 I6, T5 transmission, dana 300 t-case. Totally stock and worn out for about 3k. Bought it on the spot that same day and drove her home too. First thing I did was change the air filter. Put in new spark plugs, spark plug wires, altima battery, battery wires, mean green starter, put in a new fuel filter and fuel lines, new fuel filters. New head lights. Put in new carpet, seats and new CJ light indicators for the wipers ect on the dash. New dash board. New roll bar padding, and handles. 2 inch suspension lift and a 1 inch body lift with 33 inch MTR's. Custom rock rails and custom rear bumper. Cb(waiting for antenna) and a sony xplod cd player. Had ARB lockers instaled front and rear along with superior 1 piece axle shaft in the rear, and the heavy duty front shafts. New driveshafts, Kilby gas tank skid. Painted my stock wheels black, painted my headlight brows blacks, and everything else that was chrome I either painted it black or bought a new black piece. New best top soft top and a thumb throttle too! It's my DD and my baby but dont be fooled by it's clean body and paint. It is still my offroad buddy!

Wiring Roof mounted lights

92 YJ 2.5L, 5 sp:
3.5" BDS suspension lift, 32" BFG AT/KO's on stock 15x7 aluminum wheels which I painted satin black (VHT Wheel paint), Added hard doors (kept the half doors too), full soft doors, supertop, hardtop, windsheild brackets for relocating the mirrors, Flex-a-lite electric fan conversion with kill switch, 20 gas tank mod, removed air intake restrictor, K&N air Filter, splitfire plugs, home made swaybar disconnects, removed rear track bar, 1/2" lift shackles (brought total lift to 4"), custom built rocker guards/side steps (which I hated), Hi-Lift w/ misc straps, a set of tow hooks which never got put on 'cause I was looking at new bumpers just before I sold it, and probably a thing or two I can't think of right now.

Then I sold it :cry: , bought a '00 XJ :D , and am currently looking for another YJ (actually I will be buying an '87 to build up if the guy selling it comes through for me :roll: ).
here's my "goodbye" shot:
ByeWhitey-1.jpg

Well I wish my list was even close to as long as those guys. O well, it will grow some day. Anyway, 97 TJ 4 popper, automatic. Bought it in december of 2002. Already had aftermarket rims (Outlaw II's or cheap knockoffs of those one :)) Anyway, Ive removed the front carpet, replaced the bald BFG AT's with Mastercraft courser MT's (30x9.50) added a k&n drop in air filter and a cd player. O yea, and a few coats of mud occasionally along with a few "pinstripes" :D And I think Ive added about a roll of duct tape to the soft top now trying to hold it together! but I think im going to replace the soft top with my next paycheck!! yea!!

Anyway, sounds like you have a nice rig! congrats!!

Nathan

umm

94 YJ
4" skyjacker soft ride life
1/2 daystar shackles
TJ sahara flares
York on board air
cold air
TB spacer
Borla ss exhaust
Accell ignition
choke cable thumb throttle
autometer guages
33" yoko's
ar 767 15x8
decent stereo
cobra CB
firestik antenna
TJ gas fill
110 dc-ac converter
AA SYE
4:1 low
replaced front axle shafts with that from a 95 YJ
Some other stuff
oh ya, seat covers!!

Just look at my web page, might be easier!

Lockers. I am so divided about this mod. I know a friend that went to a local shop and was going to buy ARB Lockers. Not only did the clerk get the lockers out but immediately got some replacement parts out, as well. All that did was make the deal go South.

Lockers (depending on what you get) can always be on and make for miserable city driving. Makes for a mod that you may not go with.

Is it always a need to have lockers? I followed a locked Jeep through Webster Pass last year. There is one little rock face obstacle off of Radical Hill. I sat back and watched as he tried it first. There was much clicking and clacking and different tries for him to get up that obstacle. Then he backed up and took the go around.

I approached it without lockers. Granted, the line that I took was the one that I perceived as the best availability for traction (little dirt or mud, solid rock when available). I went right up the obstacle.

So, the question is - When are lockers necessary? Can driving skills compensate somewhat for the locked axle?

Let me know what you think...

I for one always said a good driver is worth a ton of costly mods. But Lockers used correctly are a mod all in its own catagory. Nothing like haveing the wheels left on the ground still pulling any time there are one or more all up in the air. tug

list of upgrades...checks the garage for the old, broken parts to remember what I had replaced...
2001 TJ custom color.( automatic with six mice on steroids)
Tear flex 4.5 long arm lift kit
EMC Panther rims with 35" MT/r's
Dana 44 rear/superior axles, with a detroit locker ( rubicon)
superior super 30 axle shafts front ( glamis sand dunes)
Tera 4:1 low
Tera SYE kit
Spicer drive shafts
Oylimpic rear bumper/ tire carrier (cinders, Flagstaff AZ tore the old right off)
Rock Krusher front track bar with heim joint ( tera's ball joint sucks had 2 in the garage/ posion spider mesa/ golden crack)( not too sure about RK either...has 6 spare bolts for the 14mmx1.0x100m long heim joint since I broke it on a dirt road!
K&N cone air filter with wraps
Custom front bumper with shackles
Viv-air 3 on-board air with 75 gallon tank(?)
Deep well transmission pan.
custom over sized transmission and oil cooler
Various other junk add ons like ground effect lights for off roading at night.. gotta see where your placing your tread.

From my website: www.geocities.com/en49ers/sixpack

> current mods on my XJ include:

> 4.5" rusty's lift
> 33x12.50 procomp xterrains
> 15x10 eagle alloys rims
> lockright lockers (rear)
> custom prerunner winch bumper
> flowmaster exhaust
> k&n filter cone
> rusty's airtube
> adjustable trackbar (polybushing type)
> indiglo gauges
> homemade disconnects

Geez... I checked the side of the house (Garage? What is a garage?) and found that I also installed a Swingaway back bumper system and oversized fender flares, as well...

Let's see here... Also changed the plugs today, installed new plug wires. Also planning on changing the Mobil 1 oil tomorrow...

cewtwo said:
So, the question is - When are lockers necessary? Can driving skills compensate somewhat for the locked axle?

Let me know what you think...

Being a good driver in my opinion is better than lockers. I have been out with a guy in his brand new rubi, he was all locked up and he couldnt get up this one little hill.(I had to pull him up) I had the same tires he did and no lockers and I made short work of the hill. The difference between having lockers and not is like night and day. Traction is incredable but you still have to know how to apply it for it to really work. When are lockers necessary? They are manditory if you run the hammers. Even if your the best driver in the world you wont even make a quarter of the trail. Its just not posible.

Back