Mountain jeep performance

sixr

I'm looking at Jeeps for mountain trails. Will a 4 cylinder handle it or should I go with a 6 cylinder?

You can take a 4 banger about anywhere. You'll really notice the difference between the engines on the highway, where you'll top out at 50-60 mph (depending on the size tires you have).

What size tires would you like to run - big tires, or would you stay stock?

In believe that should be a personal choice. What will be the intended use? Mud, rock climbing, or straight trail riding? The use would be one of my determining factors along with tire size, gear ratios, etc. With the proper gear ratios the four cylinder would be acceptable, the six will have more stock torque but there are many mods you can do to use either.

You can take a 4 banger about anywhere. You'll really notice the difference between the engines on the highway, where you'll top out at 50-60 mph (depending on the size tires you have).

What size tires would you like to run - big tires, or would you stay stock?

I would run AT's of some kind. Just looking to drive trails, not real steep climbing. 50 top on highway is not a big problem. I'll have a 30 mile trip from the airport to my property but other than that I'll be on mountain jeep trails. The 4 cylinder gives me more choices but a local dealer here in Texas is telling me to get a 6 cylinder.

I am in no way a mechanic or salesman, but I wheel with several guys here in florida running four cylinders, we have water, mud, and trails. Some are running 31 or 32" tires with stock gears and they perform really well. If you go to 33" or larger tires I would recommend regearing the front and rear axels. I believe a salesman will always want you to go the six cylinder route, more $$$$$.

4cyl is fine if you modify it correctly. I run 35" tires and 5.38 gears and my 4banger scoots along just fine anywhere I want to take it, including 70-80 down the interstate and on slight grades.

The 4cyl is super simple to work on and modify, without the fan shroud in place you can stand on the front axle to do a tuneup.

Yep, 4cyl. is just fine to get everywhere you want to go. A few weeks ago i went to a 4wd event at Trees Ranch in Llano Texas. Most of the buggies that showed up either had a small block or a big block but the one's that showed up with a 4cyl, did just as well on the hardcore trails and climbs.

The 4 banger gets a bad rep for being "an underpowered dog" but that is only true to an extent on the highway. As has been said, at lower speeds they have plenty of torque. The main thing to think about as has been mentioned is the set-up you plan to run. If you want to run anything bigger than 31's I would seriously suggest a gear upgrade and that is true of either engine.

i think that they would run fine in stock, where they were designed for.

where in texas are you at? lots of 6 cylinder models for sale in the bigger towns, san antonio, houston, austin, dallas/fort worth.

i bought my wife's sahara with I6 in brownsville off craigslist

I love 4 bangers just not in a jeep
Gearing is a big thing depending on types of trails you want to run and also if it is going to be a daily driver ect
With 10 being the easiest 1 the hardest what degree trails you looking to run
that by itself would be the factor of more horsepower or not and avoid carburetors by all means don't want to cut out in mid climb
don't let a stupid salesman push you into a jeep that your not going to be comfortable in or happy with

Did I say STUPID SALESMAN :shades::p:lol: Guess I did:D:D:D

Last edited:
Back