Motor Mounts bad, engine slid back

BlueRidger37

So my engine mounts are worn out on my 1980 CJ7, and I just realized that everything has shifted back towards the cab. In fact, the valve cover is rubbing against the cab. Everything is still running right, but I see that the clutch linkage is being stressed a bit, and I have a transmission stabilizer stud/bushing is worn out. I can also see how the drive-shaft has pulled out from the front differential. How easy is it to replace motor mounts and get everything back in its proper place. I believe it has slid about 3/8" - 1" back... Has anyone seen this before???

I have never seen that personally, but its not too tough to replace motor mounts. Unbolt and lift the engine up just enough to get the new mounts in there.

I did this by renting a cherry picker for $38.00 on my 1969 firebird. It's not
tough at all. I bought the new ones ahead of time, and the whole job was
done by myself in 2 hours. You only have to lift the engine a couple inches.
Most tool rental shops have the cherry picker, but you need a pickup truck to move it. When you lift the engine, it is very simple to side it back and forth, no effort at all, though you may have to unbolt the transmission mount first.

You should look at the transfer case/transmission mount too, if the transfer case mount let the unit slide back it might need to be replaced as well.
Also, if you don't have a "cherry picker" engine lift, I have done the same thing with a big floor jack and chunk of 2x6 to lift the engine.
And as long as your under there and have everything loose, you might as well replace that leaky rear main seal.................new doghnuts on the manifold.........patch that rusty floor pan..........

I just realized something else...AARRGG...I just had a new exhaust system put in it...Now if I move the engine even an inch, my exhaust won't line back up. !@#$!!!

fixed this same problem last month when installing more bombproof motormounts. i tried every trick in the book to move the engine forward, but i could only almost get it far enough to line up the bolts. luckily i had a friend with a cherrypicker and is was simple then. good luck let me know if you have any specific questions. also changed out the rear main seal while i was down there, the oil waterfall has been plugged and it only a very small drip now (hopefully residual oil that is all over the place)

Back