Lucas Transmission Fix

Yeah , it might as well be a million $ . The site recommends other add ons that they say should be added as well $. Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place , a million to change a seal , swap an AW4 or try to do something right in the long run and drop $1900 + , just because the 42RLE is proving to be troublesome ? Transmission coolers and regular filter/ fluid changes , when does it end ? Right ? I only suggesst these swaps thinking how expensive it is the first time and then we feel "will it last ?" The AW4 is reputable but a few minor swap items to fine tune with installation(time consuming) and the ATS 42RLE bulletproof trans a million $$ to purchase. :rolleyes:
The ATS , a direct replacement but most expensive , the AW4 cheaper , but more involved , Lord , I hope the seal replacement isn't costing THAT much !

Last edited:
This thread had made me appreciate my manual trans a whole bunch. I hope it all works out for ya.

I've got a front seal leaking pretty bad, I've ignored it just about as long as I can stand the smell of burnt oil on my exaust. Sometimes I feel like a pit crew mechanic 24-7.

This thread had made me appreciate my manual trans a whole bunch. I hope it all works out for ya.

I've got a front seal leaking pretty bad, I've ignored it just about as long as I can stand the smell of burnt oil on my exaust. Sometimes I feel like a pit crew mechanic 24-7.

Wow , when it rains , it pours . I really feel for anyone when these leaks occur on trans and engine. I know the pit crew feeling to , just put in a heater core and still got to put an a/c compressor in the same car , four wheel brakes another and front strut bushings on my dads '97 cougar . But I still feel for you guys ( and gals )
Yeah , I miss my '78 cherokee 360 w/t-18 4-spd

When your jeep is down off the lift , you'll be a happy girl again and we'll be happy for you , jeepacorns rock !

The day after I got the jeep back it started making a sound in the transmission area. Sounded like a straw stuck in a fan (but a lot louder, of course). Still leaking fluid. I took the jeep back. The mechanic tells me that there are scoring marks on the torque converter and he thinks the pump is the cause. I say, maybe you didn't seat the converter correctly. He tells me that's not possible; that he wouldn't be able to bolt the transmission up if it weren't seated right. Says it's not possible that these marks could be related to any error on his part.

Opinions on this?

I'm no auto trans repairman but... it didn't make the noise when you dropped it off did it? If it had scoring marks why was this not brought to your attention before he put it back in so the problem could be addressed?

So why did he notice the marks the first time. This noise wasn't there when you brought it in initially, was it?Tisk Tisk Tisk on his part. If he mentioned it the first time, it would have kept blame off him. Good mechanics check it all and comment on it.

Five min of looking:

Last edited:
My question, tho, is could the marks be a result of inappropriate reinstall?

He said no way he could make a mistake. That he could not have bolted the transmission unless it was installed correctly. That kind of statement makes me leery. We can all make mistakes. Own up to the fact that it may be you and I would trust you more.

He is saying that he will install the new parts (or new transmission, if i decide) at no labor cost, but if he caused this problem and refuses to own up, then I don't think I want him touching the jeep again. Furthermore, I will want my original fee back because he didn't fix shit and I'm going to be sinking more money in it.

It was on the first link how that could have been from the install.

I have my jeep back. Parts installed by a different guy. Leak is gone. New prob: when the jeep is cold, it has trouble shifting. I will go to pull out from my driveway and when I step on the gas, it just revs the engine as if it were in neutral. Then it suddenly catches and lurches forward into gear. After a few miles, no prob. Fluid lvl is fine.

The transmission , fluid lines and especially the trans cooler through the radiator internal trans cooler tank should be flushed . If there is any burned residue in the lines or coolers , poor circulation will cause transmission overheating and failure. A friend once had his trans changed in a dodge maxivan and the replacement burned up because the lines and cooler were not flushed.
After the flush , you want a pressure test to prove that the transmission oil pump is achieving correct line pressure. I certainly hope that a oil pump and new torque converter were among the new parts. I hope they have the correct setting on the throttle valve cable .

Last edited:
Looking forward to good news that all is well after the flush procedure and pressure test . Happy for you that the leak is history and the transmission is shifting well after warm up. Best of luck to you , Greg

All is not well. Got it back and it was driving just fine for a bit. Decided to take it for a longer drive today. Got stranded. It goes into gear, but next to no power to the engine. Sigh. Towed it home.

Back