Lockrites...... Good or bad on the road?

95Jeeper

I wanted some info on Lockrite lockers. I am interested in buying some Dana 44's for my YJ and they have Lockrites in them. Are these good lockers and are they dangerous on the road? They seem to perform well offroad but I don't know too much about them......any opinions would be great! Thanks!

Other than a little noise they seem pretty nice. Tuxedopark67 has em in his xj and I was very impressed with their preforance off road and on. For the money they seem like the way to go. tug

I have been running them for years on my Toyota. I have the stock Toy RR and a D44 from a GW up front. Both have lock rights and both work very well on both the street and the trail. I run 36" Swampers and I haven't had any gear slippage or breakage problems. There will be certain driving "techniques" that you will learn that make driving on the street even easier. There will be an occassional tire chirp, a clunk now and then, the truck will pull slightly when you shift... but, deffinately worth it. BTW... I have over 200,000 miles on the gears and lockers and over 300K on the truck.
Talk soon,

I am on the opposing side of this statement. My pal had a rear lock-rite in his XJ for a while. Aside from the constant tire squeal, they seemed to be allright. that was until about a week ago. When he was driving (on the road) the locker just gave out and self destruckted.

MX, how many miles did he have on the locker? I know that they re designed the lockrites with a new cross shaft that is supposed to make them much more reliable. I was gonna put a lockrite in the front, but if your friend put one of the new ones in, i might skip it and go aussie.

I've heard stories on both sides of the fence. However, if they are free with the axles I wouldnt worry too much about them

I am selling my Dana 44s with 3.31 gears, lockrites, U-bolt style pinion yokes, and all steering components (Except pitman arm). These are ready to bolt on to a sprung under (stock set up) YJ and include anti-wrap spring perches in the back that are welded to near perfect pinion angle for 4-6" of lift. If your lift height is different, you may need shims. These axles also have two "thick diff covers" welded together to take any rock abuse you want to give it.

This is his post for selling the axles. He is asking 750 for both of them. Is this a good deal????

If i recall right, you have an automatic correct? If so then you have 3.73 gears. you sure you want 3.31s? thats going the oppisate direction of what you want to go, especially if your planning on putting bigger tires on, which i assume you are since your wanting to swap in D44's. So if your going bigger your going to have to regear. So you might have to replace those lockers anyway, not sure on that.

HTH

Nathan

Good point Green97TJ! Why would somebody have that setup then???

Those tall gears would be tolerable with a v8, but not for your 4banger. That would be an okay price if the gear ratio worked for you, but too much $$ if you have to regear both axles.

Back