Locker in Dana 35

ATHiker

I would like to like to put a locker in my rear of my 2000 Sport (Dana 35), Any advice on if I should put a locker in or get one with an air or electric locker. Is there any big difference in mileage or performance with a closed rear, Is the money for a switched locker worth it? Thanks in advance

if you do more street driving than offroading but still want the extra capability that a locker gives, a selectable is a great choice, if you can afford it. dont get an OX, the lockers are great but theres been a lot of trouble with the cable mechanism. a friend of mine hooked up a pneumatic actuator for it and it works 100 times better now. but back to the subject. detroit has an electra trac, i have another friend with that and he enjoys it, works flawlessley, i think, havent heard him complain. and i have many other jeep buddies with arb's and they love them to death. the only thing about an arb is that you have to set up the air compressor and stuff. lunch box lockers are good also, but theyre engaged all the time and are noisy when they disengage for corners. standard detroit locker is another option but i dont think you want that

For the price of an ARB or OX you can buy a Ford 8.8 with a limited slip and have a lot stronger axle, with money left over.

Should you lock it or not? Depends a lot on how much you wheel compared to street driving. What kind of terrain or type of wheelin do you do?

the city of bethlehem may just have the worst roads in PA. Locker with 31s should be fine.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on a locker for the 35. I already regret regearing mine since I'm hoping to get a ford 8.8 soon.

P.S. Tom, I like your pecentage listing in your profile. :lol:

frankiefire702 said:
I personally wouldn't waste my money on a locker for the 35. I already regret regearing mine since I'm hoping to get a ford 8.8 soon.

P.S. Tom, I like your pecentage listing in your profile. :lol:

The 8.8 is a better idea but I think they come with 3.70s and 4.10s so you'd need to change the front out. The guys in our club are finding them for about $250 to $300 and I think they come with ltd slip installed.

yeah i agree with frankie...most people who dump lots of money in the 35 regret it...i know i regret just replacing the bearing and spider gears in my old 35 :lol: and if you do still want to lock that 35 look at welding it (or spool)as a cheap alternative to nosiy, lane changing, expensive, hard to install lockers..( did i forget anything??? :lol: )

31's, stock drivetrain... I wouldn't dump alot of money in a D35 either, but if you're planning on keeping the lift/tire combo that you have for a while and you're just looking to be able to make it through the local mud holes I say throw a lock right in there. It's cheap enough (Under $300), easy to do it yourself, and if you want to get into more lift and bigger tires later then worry about an axle swap.

Back