Let the darkness consume....

Gig

well, here we go again. First my radio is dead... now my lights are dead. Today I checked out the fues links... wow! One was burnt, fixed it, my radio came back to life! WHOPPIE! But still no headlights or parking lights. My taillights still work mind you. Well, when I started this hell on wheels up, the radio turns on, but everytime I hit the gas, the radio would turn off, then come back on... until finally it died again, and the fuse link burned once more. Could this "surge" be coming from a malfunctioning alternator? If anybody has any idea what is wrong, please tell me... The fuse block is tight, all the connections under the dash are fine. When I turn on lets say the left flasher, both indicators on the dash will blink(as if hazard lights) and the high beam indicator will flash as well. Same thing with the right. The flashers only work if I don't have the headlight switch on(remember no headlights). The cluster needles also all go to the bottom when I turn that switch on. My brake lights still work, and the parking lights in the back still work. I can't think of anything else at the moment. I haven't beem able to find any unwanted grounds... PLEASE HELP!

Gig

PS - Sorry for the big block of words....

yeah he has a jeep!!!

sorry man, i've had the same problems. I just went through all of the wiring, repairing, and replacing.

LR

Gig,

Check your marker light bulbs. I know it sounds stupid, but my CJ did the same thing with both indicator lights coming on with the signal switch. It turned out to be because I hadn't yet put bulbs in the front markers. Worth a shot!

-X

well, I tried the side marker lights... to no avail unfortunetly.... BUT, I did find a problem with the body ground... it wasn't that great...lol Hasn't fixed the problem though... Thanx for the suggestion of buying a painless wiring kit... but I think I will pass at the moment...

Gig

When you get some time inspect all the ground points on the body and chassis. Make sure their clean and tight. Also check for the proper bulbs and the proper installation of the bulbs. It sounds like your instrument cluster is looking for a ground and is back feeding through the light circuit and something else is back feeding through your radio circuit. Get the owners manual out and check to see what else is on those circuits and if those other items are affected or not. This way you can narrow it down. Keep in mind you may actually have a hot wire somewhere that is shorting out.

Dang! reading this post alost makes me want to go out and buy me an ol jeep today and get back into the swing of things! hehehehe tug

Back