Is there any way????

Jeepster05

Is there any way to strengthen stock axles on a YJ???? I don't have the money to swap em out and get 44s so I'm looking for a way to put 34's or possibly 35s on stock axles without breaking them. Is anyone running 35s on stock axles????[addsig]

Well cant say much for the Dana30 front...its fairly strong and should hold up if you don't goose it too much. There is a Super35 kit for the Dana35 rear axle that is supposedly pretty strong albeit costly. I would just swap in an 8.8 rear from an explorer. Its a fairly easy swap...same wheel bolt pattern and everything. Its a pretty strong rear axle that should hold up to 35s easily. Do a search on google...there are tons of writeups on it out there.[addsig]

id have to say no.. u cant polish a turd.. an axle swap doesnt have to be that bad..u can find axles just gotta look and bepatient. it toook me a year to find my dana 60s and it only cost me 400 bucks for the matching set.. now ive bough other sets to sell formore but400 was a hit my pocket could handle..so look around 8.8 isnt a bad axle for the rear. look for wrecked waggy for the front 44. there out there just look.. is full width an option yes no? do u have to stay at roughly 61 wms ?????? if not look for a 77 f150 real easy swap.. 44 front rear local paper for 4 or 5 bills . then sell the rest of it.. if its a 4 spd.. ur gonna havea good granny low.. transmission proballly a 435 witha 205 most likely.. not a bad set up. what i run currently.. not te greatest but works.. with limitied funds u just have to be picky on the parts ya use...
hth

payton[addsig]

i will be running 36 inch swampers on a set of dana 30 and 35 with 4.10's in em this summer....i also know a friend of mine who has a chevy 350 in his jeep and 35 inch swampers on stock axles...hasnt brokein em yet but over time.....

edited by: west747, Mar 24, 2003 - 09:05 AM[addsig]

in my town... there is a junkyard with ford 9" rears with matching fronts for $100 each... when I get up on money, they are gonna end up under my jeep.... if you wanna pay shipping(which would be outrageous) i can get you some[addsig]

I used to think they didn't break that often, but we've had two D35 shafts break in our club this spring. Maybe we're wheelin harder, who knows. It all depends on how aggressively you wheel, as many run 33" and 35" tires on stock axles with no problems. I ran 33" MT's on stock axles with a powerful 350 pushin them, never a break.

A good donor vehicle is a full-size Cherokee. Many have the Quadratrac 4wd with the offset rear diff, so that won't work. Many have the HD AMC20 rear axle, so don't get that. Look for the ones with the D44 rear and D44 front with driver's side differential, that's the jewel to look for :-D [addsig]

Back