Ideas for Jeep Stereo System

In my years of building car entertainment systems, you should never enclose an amp unless you have a circulation system to cool the ambient air surrounding the amp. That was after I learned not to get them wet. Although happy's hinged box accomplishes the moisture prevention goal, I would recommend porting the box and perhaps installing a cooling fan depending upon the size of the amp. Also, remember that hot air rises, so you need to keep this in mind when designing your cooling system.

ujohnd said:
In my years of building car entertainment systems, you should never enclose an amp unless you have a circulation system to cool the ambient air surrounding the amp. That was after I learned not to get them wet. Although happy's hinged box accomplishes the moisture prevention goal, I would recommend porting the box and perhaps installing a cooling fan depending upon the size of the amp. Also, remember that hot air rises, so you need to keep this in mind when designing your cooling system.

Yes.

happy024, here's someone else for you to argue with :wink:

When you say sealed, especially with stereo equipement, it means SEALED!!!

And just because there is a lot of air inside your "sealed" amp box, that doesn't mean that that air will get just as hot as the air in a smaller area would get. Like Ujohnd said, it needs to be vented...with fans being very helpfull

RE: Old Jeep Commercial

I sold and installed high end car audio years ago, and I agree with never enclosing an amp - bad idea. If you do and you burn it up then don't tell the shop you take it to for warranty service (by the way the fuse protects it from drawing too much amperage not from overheating - some may have thermal protection but who wants their amp cutting in and out because it's overheating). Many of them need (or at least they did back then) external fans just to survive being in a trunk!

I also want to point out that an enclosure for a subwoofer should be sealed. Without it being sealed you can damage the speaker.

Some of the best sounding systems I sold/installed were using 8" and 10" subs. I was never into the super bass garbage music and anything over a 10" woofer not only sounds like crap, it is just plain annoying to any real audiophile.

2 eight inch woofers with the correct crossover point, the right amount of clean power, and in the right enclosure sound the best in my opinion and can make some noise for those who are into that. If mounted in an isobaric config they take up very little room.

Man I was so sick of car audio when I quit that place. Nothing destroys your love for it like dealing with it's consumers.

RE: Re: RE: and then I find this out....

I spent all day out driving around with the top off (58 degrees in KC today) and getting price quotes and different stuff ordered for my Jeep. So far, I am going with a Pioneer detachable face CD player ($120+installation), a pair of Kenwood 4X6 2 way ($73+installation) speakers in the front, and Soundwedge 3 way 200watt 6X9's ($157) in the back. I am not going to get an amp/sub setup until I can figure out a way to make it secure, safe from moisture, and safe from overheating without costing me a ton of money. This will keep my stereo to around $400 in total cost for now and we'll see how that sounds.

RE: 2.5L question

I ended up making my own Subwoofer Console with a 10" Sub. It's not waterproof, but I seldomly leave it out in the rain. The sub is mounted facing the driver since I didn't have room to make it down firing. I mounted my CB and subwoofer level controls in it as well. I put those cheap roll bar plastic enclosures (like the Thors) and put cheap Jensen polycone 6x9 speakers in them (just in case I do leave it out :lol: ). I cut my half doors to put 5x7's in them. I also built a hinged door (like those insta-trunks) for the rear which helps hide the amp and cap I mounted underneath it. It also hides the stuff I keep back there for emergencies.
It all worked out to a fairly inexpesive setup (I had most of the stuff from my old Bronco) and it sounds awesome even with the top down and on the highway :mrgreen:.

Jules

I agree with TC... you don't need 15" subs to provide good sound. The BEST setup I ever had was a dual 8" bandpass running some 100yr old kicker (comps i guess... no model name). I removed them from truck boxes and put them in this 2nd order bandpass in my blazer. i would honestly win bets, people telling me that they were not 8" speakers. now I run 2 10" comp vr dvc. I love them.

HI-HERE I AM!

I went ahead and picked up a custom made Sub box off cardomain that is down firing and has space for 2 10 inch subs. I ordered two Blaupunkt 10 inch subs and a Blaupunkt amp from cardomain as well. I also found a soundbar on ebay. It should sound pretty good. I got a top of the line Pioneer CD/MP3 player too.

Now the only thing is figuring out how to get the 4X6 Kenwood speakers into the dash areas. It looks like I may have to take teh whole dash off adn I would rather not have to do that.

RE: HI-HERE I AM!

KCJeeper said:
I went ahead and picked up a custom made Sub box off cardomain that is down firing and has space for 2 10 inch subs. I ordered two Blaupunkt 10 inch subs and a Blaupunkt amp from cardomain as well. I also found a soundbar on ebay. It should sound pretty good. I got a top of the line Pioneer CD/MP3 player too.

Now the only thing is figuring out how to get the 4X6 Kenwood speakers into the dash areas. It looks like I may have to take teh whole dash off adn I would rather not have to do that.

too much noise......you have to take time to hear the purr of the engine...whine of the transfer case.....the slurping of the mud as the tires dig through it............peace...tranquility....relaxation.......

not THUMP! THUMP! THU THU THUMP! :cry:

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
too much noise......you have to take time to hear the purr of the engine...whine of the transfer case.....the slurping of the mud as the tires dig through it............peace...tranquility....relaxation.......

There is a time and a place for everything. In the city it's nice to be able to drown out the city noises with some music but definately when offroad no thump thump thump. :wink:

RE: HI-HERE I AM!

south442 said:
_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:

There is a time and a place for everything. In the city it's nice to be able to drown out the city noises with some music but definately when offroad no thump thump thump. :wink:

Yeah, drown out the city noise, but please don't drown out my John Prine!!
We all like to listen to music, just not necessarily yours.

John Prine!! "You may see me tonight with an illegal smile"........"There's a hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes"......"I hope you don't do what I do, and ever fall in love with someone like you"........."your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore"........"Hey ain't got laid in a month of Sundays, caught him once and he was sniffin' my undies, Ain't to sharp but he gets things done, drinks his beer like it's oxygen"..............................just a few of my favorite Prine lyrics.

RE: tombstone pizza

I don't understand whypeople put subs in Jeeps. :cry:

RE: hi_c is back... with problems

mud4feet said:
John Prine!! "You may see me tonight with an illegal smile"........"There's a hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes"......"I hope you don't do what I do, and ever fall in love with someone like you"........."your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore"........"Hey ain't got laid in a month of Sundays, caught him once and he was sniffin' my undies, Ain't to sharp but he gets things done, drinks his beer like it's oxygen"..............................just a few of my favorite Prine lyrics.

I think you're making him up.

RE: Career Change? Any of you do it?

88Wrangles said:
mud4feet said:

I think you're making him up.

HAHAHA!!!!!! Yeah, sometimes he's just too good to believe!! Not real popular (obviously)....you'll never hear him on commercial radio, just public radio stations......WAY down the dial. Or, of course, my CD player!!! Coming to Asheville in April..........I can't wait!!

I believe he's what you would refer to as an "obscure" musician.........but been around since the '70s.................remember, I'm an old fart!!!! :lol:

RE: What do You Drive

what kind of music does he do? I've probably heard him before and just don't recognize the name...or lyrics...

RE: tombstone pizza

Mainly acoustic. Sounds best when it's just him and his guitar - but he's gotta a couple of backup musicians he tours with - electric guitar and bass. Don't really know how to "classify" his music - makes it tough to find in music stores - sometimes in "rock", sometimes in "folk", sometimes in "country" (he has a bit of a twang). Bonney Raitt did one of his songs - "Angel from Montgomery" - Kris Kristofferson has recorded a couple - mainly country folk record his songs. But the man has a way with words. "Sam Stone" is probably the greatest "Vietnam-era" song I've ever heard. Check him out at JohnPrineShrine.com.

Back