Ideas for Jeep Stereo System

KCJeeper

I just bought a 94 Wrangler YJ (my first Jeep). I am looking to put in a detachable face CD player so I can have some tunes. I can't decide what to put in for speakers. There is a space for 4X6 speakers just under the windshield. I thought about a 10" subwoofer in the back, but that would likely get stolen. I also thought about cheaper 6X9's in the back. If they get stolen it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I looked at the factory sound bars they have available, and they seem really expensive plus they are stocked with crappy speakers (Jensen).

Any ideas out there for decent sounding speaker setup that doesn't cost a million bucks and is a little bit secure? I don't need it to be the greatest sounding thing ever, but I would like to be able to hear it with the top off.

thor enterprises makes a speaker box for 6x9s that sandwiches inbetween the roll bar and wheel well, ive got it, youve got to run somewhat shallow speakers to get them in there but my memphis's sound great and were like 140bucks at the sound shop. i think quadratec carries them? if you made a woofer box id bolt it through the floor cuz like u said, theft

Thanks for the Thor input. I just found some info on those. I thought about bolting down the subwoofer box, but all the thief would have to do is unscrew the screws holding in the woofer. I just read on another site that JBL makes an 8 inch 80 watt woofer that is affordable and works well in combination with 4X6's in a Jeep. The JBL is self amplified as well.

I would think the 4x6's with an 8 inch woofer along with the 6X9's would sound pretty good. I wonder if an alarm would be good to have installed with a motion sensor. Anyone have good/bad experiences with alarms on their Jeep?

One nice thing on the JBL is you can hook up some quick disconnects so if you go offroading you can take out the sub so you dont short it out.

89 YJ/CJ Doors fit 94 YJ?

I made a box recently to fit behind the seat (even though I took the seat out 2 years ago) for 2 10"s... mounted the amp on the back of it so you cant even see it.. the carpet cost more than the construction materials....the thing is so heavy and tight fitting that Im the only one who can get it out .. it takes work ... I do have an alam so Im not as worried...A real jeep box is about $250 ...

You will not be happy with an 8"... I gotta be heard

dont worry about someone stealing a woofer... if you screw it in there good THEN put a protective grill over it... they have twice the unscrewing to do... and if you use small hex head screws to put it in, thats even more inconvenient for them... if you put it behind the back seat, fact it forward toward the seat, just one more step it takes to steal it... in that case, its much less vulnerable than anything else in the jeep

RE: Manual Transmission Noise

check out www.just4effect.com. This guy has some great ideas (not that you have to buy from him). I bought a single 12" down-firing box. He'll add anything you want to customize your box if you do decide to buy from him. No one else out there makes anything like this.

RE: Re: RE: Quote the Raven...er..Jeepz Peepz

Thanks ujohnd. That site looks like some cool boxes. I may have to consider going that way.

Just a couple of ideas
Like snitty said use use hex or square head screws. I removed my back seat and made a storage box/speaker box with a 10" PolkEX mounted right behind the consol with amps inside lockable box. used old bushings from shakle lift as bumpers all around box to keep from rattleing and real tight fit. I made 6x9 boxes that are U-Bolted to the back roll bars. if you are anything like me I leave the top of almost all summer (in MN about 3 weeks) so stay away from carpet inless you want to rip all the carpet of in about 2 years and do it again. I am sealing and painting mine with Duraliner and putting Diamond plate corners on.
Pics to come

RE: Re: RE: the eagles are going to jacksonville

I've got the Thor Soundwedges with Pioneer 240 watt 6x9's in them....they sound pretty good with the Pioneer CD player/tuner I've got. I haven't gotten around to amping them yet, as the Pioneer sends enough nominal signal to keep them thumping pretty good.

As far as alarms go, and this is just my personal feelings, they suck!!!! I've owned one car with an alarm, and never used the stupid thing. One of my pet peeves is car alarms that are constantly going off when the wind blows, it thunders, a bird craps on the car, etc......a buddy of mine lived in Sacramento while he was in the Army, and the big thing there was for thieves to steal car alarms! I guess it was just a game and a challenge for them, but I thought that was pretty funny when I heard about it. He had 3 of them stolen in about as many months, but they never touched his $1000 stereo system in his Toy 4x4. He finally just went to Radio Shack and bought a small red LED light and rigged it to flash up on the dash all the time. Folks would see that and think there was an alarm and leave him alone. The alarm thieves also left him alone, because they could probably tell it was fake and didn't want to bother with it if there wasn't an alarm to steal.

I believe tuffy makes a center console w/ a sub in it. I don't have it, nor do I know how good it is, but it seems like a good idea so you don't loose space in the back!

RE: rear end

If you got the $$$ get rear tuffy boxes with room for 6x9 (and tools) you'll never have to worry about those getting stolen. Getting a box for 1-2 subs shouldn't be a problem or make one that fits just below the wheel wells and put a metal cover over the top, no one will see it and it will be pretty hard to get at.......

Or just forget about bolting/screwing it down and sit in your Jeep 24/7 with a loaded shot gun...no one will F with your system then!

Dont the newer jeeps come with a sub mounted in the center console. I would rock that and the sound bar. The speakers in the sound bar are fine. I never had any issues with the bar in my TJ. I had a box in the back with 2 10's in it and the amp mounted under the seat. I never had any problems with mine getting stolen. The carpet in it matched the jeep carpet and the top covered it up real well when the top was down. My neighborhood wasnt too dangerous so I wasnt entirely too worried. I didnt bolt it down to the jeep because I wanted to be able to pull it easy. I know someone out there (pioneer?) makes a flat 12" sub. I think its only like 3.5" deep. You could get creative with that and hide it under a seat somewhere.

Harley Davidson Knifes

judge09 said:
Dont the newer jeeps come with a sub mounted in the center console. I would rock that and the sound bar.

Yeah, it's an option with the 7 speaker system although it's only a "50 watt amplified 8 inch subwoofer". Mine has one but it's not too impressive and will definately need upgrading. Better than not having it I guess.

judge09 said:
I had a box in the back with 2 10's in it and the amp mounted under the seat.
Bad I dea if you go through any water or leave the top or windows off in the rain. always seal amps in boxes and make a drip cover for speakers. Alittle time and thought before installing will save you money in the end.
Here's the box that I'm still in the process of building

Attachments

• storage_spearker_box_inside.jpg
    storage_spearker_box_inside.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 6,507

Just be careful sealing amplifiers in boxes. They generate lots of heat and need to have enough ventilation. Many have fans built into them, but if they're in a sealed box-it's pointless.

By the way, if they overheat, they go buy-buy

good point 88 I forgot to mention that. But most good amps have internal fuses to stop them from going buy-buy.

That's true, but you wouldn't want it to keep blowing fuses...cause then you'd have to keep going into the sealed box and replace them. Plus, with it being completely sealed, it will get hot very fast.

again great point 88. But lets not get so literal. as you can see my box is hinged and has alot of air inside. when I said should put amp in sealed box I didn't mean to silicon it screw it and forget about it but next time I make a suggestion I will spell it out a little better for ya :wink:

Back