I.P. Speakers????

NormanW

As luck would have it I blew out the bulb that lights the heater control panel the day after I got my new stereo in. Not wanting to pull the dash bezel off again I started by checking the fuses. Hanging down under the dash, just out of sight above the e-brake, is a connector with four wires coming out and the factory I.D. tag on it that reads "I.P. Speaker".

What is an I.P. Speaker? I cannot find reference to it in my Haynes Manual.

I dunno. I do know that IP usually means Instrument Panel though. Get a zip tie and tie that sucker out of sight and out of mind. hehehe

Probably for a Door a-jar type speaker. chrysler didn't use 4 pin plugs for audio/stereo speakers.

Hi,

It is in fact a connector for front Instrument panel speakers. The connectors are black with four wires, but only 2 pins (it's a 2-pin connector that's also a splice.)

If you look at the lower dash bezel near the door, you'll notice there is a speaker grille looking cutout in it. This is because the LIMITED edition cherokees came with a 6 speaker sound system, which included a small speaker under the dash on either side. If you don't have speakers there, it's because your cherokee is not the Limited edition :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Popping the Cherry on my SOA'd YJ! ~pics~

I guess we always learn something! I was under the assumption it was a four wire four pin plug. I guess I should stick the YJ side of things.

Back