I just joined AAA...and it includes winching service.

Special_K

I just joined AAA (Triple A) and realized that the upgraded membership includes winching. I wish I knew this a year ago when I got a friend's YJ stuck...then tried to pull it out with my CJ. They both had to be winched out, around a bend and up a long hill...the ground was just too soft to allow traction on the incline at the time...it was a very wierd situation. The ground looked solid and normal on the surface but it some areas it would give away like quicksand and in other areas (up the long incline) the dirt would slide and move around like sawdust never allowing for traction.

Anyway each winching job cost over $100 each as it was actually a fairly complex winching job and had to be done over two days. The first one took over an hour and it got dark before we could get the second.

The enhanced AAA membership is only $89 and apparently would have paid for that. :shock: Just a thought.

I wonder if they have a triple A jeep???Wouldnt that be cool.Like the jeep of our dreams or somthing like that.

i could see it.... 12 inches of lift, 44" boggers, 6 ton winches front and back, V8 diesel... etc

Just to bring up another point along these lines. Most insurance companies (car insurance) also offer offroad insurance for 50-100$ more a year. In these lean times that is alot when you own a jeep....lol.
But there is a little thing in that that says they will recover a totaled/rolled/or majorly stucked vehicle in the wilderness.
Now this doesnt sound so bad here till you figure that your out playing Baja racer and roll your beloved jeep down 100 foot incline into what most land based recovery companies call un-reachable terratory. Most off road companys will not leave a forset road to pull your beloved Jeep out of the canyon. Either you leave it or go to extreams of pulling it piece by piece and leaving it is not a good option here.
The forest service loves to call the army core of engineers to recover trucks/ car and ect to remove them. Well they are known to going the extreme and bring in an over size Chinook and fly the 4x4 out. This can cost upwards to 100,000+. If you have offroad insurance it will cover this...if not well Uncle Sam does have a way to ring it out of you. The US goverment has some real god money collectors who graduated from IRS -U. So its a good idea to pay to play.
Any insurance offroad, road side, and even triple A might not be such a bad idea with us... we do own Jeeps after all lol

Whoa...an AA winching service would be kind of scary.....as would a AA taxi service. On the other hand, they'd probably have a few beers and cocktails on hand to share with you while they winch you out...so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. :D

If it were an AA service you can rest asured they wouldn't have any Drinks for you. AA is for quiting drinking not to spread it to others.

The towing service locally here had a H1 hummer with a winch and a Tank/towtruck (its a tank with a arm to drag a other two truck i guess, never seen it.)

I was almost stuck in a bad way. I was out with my dad in his suzuki sidekick and we were going along this trail on a hill and the side gaveway. Needless to say we slid further and further down as we tried to get out. We had to stop trying because we were so far down and the cliff was coming up and thats a big no no. Luckily with the help of a utility quad we managed to tow it out, took both of the vehicals flooring it to get it out, we drag it outta there in reverse it was great. I think were gonna go buy ourselfs a winch so next time we wont have to be so worried. IT woulda been bad times if we would have been stuck down there, it was 110 outside and we were 5 miles out in the middle of the dessert. Same old shit, just on a different day!!

Anybody here from Nova Scotia?

I wouldn't depend on AAA too much, the fine print says that they'll help you out on roads that are intended for public travel.

Yup - I drove a wrecker for a living until a couple months ago and AAA covers winching "On maintained public roadways only" :(

Is a road intended for public use one that is controled buy the BLM or the park system and is mapped and labled as 4x4 use? Like maybe the rubicon.

Ummm - i doubt it - It's usually interpreted by the wrecker svc as roads that any car can go down - but if you can talk the wrecker guy into it, you're set.

Good article. Bad outcome. Maybe we can learn something

You just gotta find a tow guy thats a jeeper - I went anywhere to help out a fellow jeeper!

image-missing.png

Back